March 28, 2024, 11:40:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Yttrium Trichloride (YC13)?  (Read 5171 times)

Offline omega54

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
Yttrium Trichloride (YC13)?
« on: January 08, 2008, 07:07:55 PM »
Hello, I recently was searching a Element collecting site, and came upon a listing for a compound of Yttrium Trichloride, ampouled under Argon gas.

Could someone explain what is the attraction of this compound to element collectors and what makes this a rare chemical, as it seems to be selling very fast?

Excuse my iqnorance, but would appreciate any insight.

Many thanks

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Re: Yttrium Trichloride (YC13)?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 08:28:50 PM »
Yttrium in elemental form is highly reactive and dangerous.  The common oxidation state is +3 and is therefore kept as a trichloride because of stability.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline omega54

• Mole Snacks: +1/-4
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
Thank you for your reply concerning the yttrium trichloride, so if one purchases pure elemental
yttrium metal sealed in argon in a ampoule as most dealers offer it, will remain safe and unaffected as long as kept sealed?
thanks again
 steve

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:18:06 PM »
Thinking about it again, Yttrium is somewhat stable in air and should be suitable in a ampule sealed with Argon.  I believe the reason that it is sold as YCl3 is due to availability and difficulty of obtaining purity of elemental Yttrium. (Which probably means it is expensive)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yttrium#Occurrence

In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Sponsored Links