April 29, 2024, 09:37:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: scandium  (Read 7055 times)

karen

scandium
« on: February 19, 2005, 12:43:02 PM »
Doing a junior high project on scandium. Can't find answers to the flammability and soluabilityof scandium. Guessing not soluable since its a metal? Not flammable since melting and boiling point so high?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:scandium
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 01:13:11 PM »
Hi there.  If you click on the periodic table link here, you should be able to get some basic information about Scandium and a picture of what it looks like.  Scandium will VERY slowly react with water, and over a good period of time it will 'dissolve away' in water and turn into a bunch of scandium ions.  However this process is fairly slow.  (And requires the scandium to be finely divided and/or heated a great deal).  Scandium reacts with oxygen pretty readily to form scandium oxide (Sc2O3).  It will burn in air if heated enough.  If it wasn't so darned expensive I'd try and ignite a piece of what I have, but with the cost of it so high it would be like burning gold.   However its flammability is nothing like that of the alkali metals (lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, and cesium), magnesium, zirconium, uranium, or some of the heaver Group II elements.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links