April 16, 2024, 05:43:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Boiling pasta in water vs. water  (Read 4560 times)

Offline THC

• Mole Snacks: +4/-6
Boiling pasta in water vs. water
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »
Today, I boiled pasta in water in one pot and "plain" water in another pot. I noticed that the pot with pasta was more prone to boil over compared to the pot with water. At one point, I actually did boil over :)
I turned on the stove at the same time for both pots, and reduced the heat after the water in the pots were boiling. Then I turned away and about ½ minute later, the pasta pot was boiling over while the plain water pot was simmering nicely.

Then I wondered... could this have anything to do with the carbohydrates/starch in pasta? I sometimes find myself in the same situation with water all over the stove because I've forgotten to watch out. Though it is more common with pasta (which makes sense since the carbohydrates/starch in pasta are more processed compared to a potato), it happens for both of them.

Does anybody experience similar "missteps" in the kitchen? And what could be a logical explanation (other than my kitchen skills suck)?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Boiling pasta in water vs. water
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:09:19 PM »
I never mess up cooking pasta, as I love it.

But yes, it is just the starch in the water, acting in the same manner as soap and bubbles.

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:21:41 PM »
On a related note, I'm curious why some urine makes more bubbles/foams when it hits the water in the toilet bowl, and some doesn't.  Dead serious, I've been wanting to know for a while....

Offline THC

• Mole Snacks: +4/-6
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 02:21:45 AM »

But yes, it is just the starch in the water, acting in the same manner as soap and bubbles.

Please elaborate?

Does it have anything to do with starch = nucleation sites?

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Sponsored Links