April 25, 2024, 07:42:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A question about factors affecting the action of antacid  (Read 6772 times)

Offline yaya

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A question about factors affecting the action of antacid
« on: January 03, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
Hi, I am new to this forum and I have some problems about antacid(active ingredients: aluminium hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide). I would be very thankful if someone can answer my questions.

I have been doing experiments on the effect of sunlight and storage temperature on the neutralizing power of antacid. For sunlight, the tablets were exposed to sunlight for 3 days and for storage temperature, the tablets are put into hot water (around 80-90℃) in a vaccum flask for 3 days.

Before carrying out the experiment, I assumed that the neutralizing power of the antacid will decrease because of reactions such as decomposition. However, after carrying out the experiment, I found that the tablets in both cases have a bit stronger neutralizing power compared to the control.  Is this because of some experimental errors? Does sunlight and storage temperature really have an effect on antacid tablets? If not, are there other factors that will affect its neutralizing power?

Thank you for your time. It would be greatly appreciated if you could give me some idea.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 05:14:09 AM by yaya »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: A question about factors affecting the action of antacid
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:21:24 AM »
There are many different antacids. You should know their chemical content!
AWK

Offline yaya

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: A question about factors affecting the action of antacid
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »
I am sorry for missing out the chemical content.
The active ingredients of the antacids we used are mainly Aluminium Hydroxide and Magnesium Hydroxide.
Can you give me some idea on what's wrong with my experiments please?

Sponsored Links