April 30, 2024, 01:19:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Making Soap More Soluble?  (Read 5943 times)

Offline hkcog

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Making Soap More Soluble?
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:32:42 AM »
I am a soap maker, working on a powdered laundry soap/detergent.  I would like to tweak my bar soap recipe so that it will work as a good surfactant,  if at all possible.  I realize that the problem with using real soap is the soap scum that is left on the fabrics, and in the washing machine.  I would also like it to work well in all temperatures.

Maybe someone knows, if there is any way to make my bar soap function more like a detergent?  I have seen recipes using builders in bar soaps making it a detergent bar, but would that be enough to prevent the soap scum?  Also, can a surfactant other than real soap be made by a hand soap maker?

I have considered using potassium hydroxide along with sodium hydroxide to make the soap more soluble?  But not sure of what proportions to use.  Or if potassium would prevent the soap from hardening?  Also, do you think that using extra sodium hydroxide in the recipe would help the soap scum dissolve better in the wash water?

Also, I would appreciate it, if someone could tell me which oil or fat would be my best bet for a more soluble solution?  I was thinking that a 100% coconut oil soap may be the best choice, because coconut oil soap is supposed to be soluble in cold sea water.  Many say tallow, or lard is the best, but I have tried making the soap base with 70tallow/30coconut with 100% lye, this soap does not dissolve in well in cold water.

Besides the soap, my recipe includes powdered:
Sodium Carbonate,  Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Silicate, Percarbonate, Zeolite A, CMC, may also include borax, sodium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate. 

Thank you
k
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 05:00:34 AM by hkcog »

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Making Soap More Soluble?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:39:42 AM »
This is a double post to one already in citizen chemist
double posts are frowned on

Cross-posting in multiple forums just confuses the discussion of the topic and adds unnecessary clutter.

Offline hkcog

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Making Soap More Soluble?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:44:10 AM »
I didnt mean to confuse anyone, or add clutter.

My understanding that cross posting was the exact same post.  Which I didnt feel this was a copy of the earlier post.

thanks
k

Sponsored Links