April 25, 2024, 10:33:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nickel(II) complexes  (Read 12509 times)

Offline borodin

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nickel(II) complexes
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:47:50 PM »
Hi.
I've to do the characterization (UV/Vis; FTIR; magnetic susceptibility; condutimetry;) of some Nickel(II) complexes like Ni(Et2en)2X2 where  X= Cl-, NCS-, NO3- and I-.

It's a college mini-project: i've to write a cientific paper following the rules of some chemistry journal.

Can you help me finding some information about that? Like books to search..or free net papers..

How can i show the results of a UV/Vis and FTIR on a paper?

Because de Bologna declaration i'm having lab classes and haven't yet attend theoretical classes .

Thanks for the atention.
Best regards!

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
Re: Nickel(II) complexes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »
You have alot of work to do....try starting here....not clear on exactly what you mean show UV/VIS and FTIR on paper  why don't you use XRD data...XRD is difintive....undisputable...you show your data in your paper and then explain it....

http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/library/publications/NHMFL_Publication-3184.pdf.  You will have to do a literature search....

What rules are in this journal article...what rules do you have to follow??  Need to provide more 411.

Offline borodin

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
Hi!

The data (I have) of UV-Vis, condutimetry and the magnetic momemts are to determinate the geometry and electronic structures of the complexes, comparing the effect of different ligands. I have no idea how to do that! I know, iknow..literature search! I'm doing that right now..:)

The FTIR data are just from sodium thiocyanate and the thiocyanate complex and i have to identify the vibrational bands of NCS group. :).

The rules that i have to follow are from a journal of inorganic chemistry of my choice. I'm thinking in that one: http://pubs.acs.org/journals/inocaj/index.html ;)

Thanks for the link..give me an ideia of what is an inorganic chemistry paper!:) What i'm searching for is something (books, net..) where explains how to analyse and present the UV-Vis, FTIR, etc.. data in a scientific paper like that. I've never talk about that in classes..

Thanks a lot!!
Best regards.. ;))))

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:47:56 PM »
Often, if you read the very beginning of any bound journal, they have explicit rules on how they want such data submitted.  The software packages, in general, try to make this as easy as possible -- they don't want their instruments refused by scientists because they've made it incompatible with easy publishing. 

I suppose you'll have to give us the exact name of the instruments you'll be using, and the name and version of the software that's installed, if you want more specifics. 

Fact is, you really don't have much choice in the matter, right?  Unless you're independently wealthy enough to stock the lab with brand new instruments yourself.  So in a way, they have to take whatever you can give them.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »
I highly recommend Nakamoto's books at the end of the list.  there are 2 very good books i used as an undergrad and we had those in a few of the labs I worked in...I will try and find the titles...The BIG BLUE SPECTROSCOPY BOOK...It is an Eduational and Industry Standard.

This Aldrich Link:  These are great...http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search/TablePage/14573974

There are some HOW TO Texts here:  http://www.dmoz.org/Science/Chemistry/Analytical/Infrared_Spectroscopy/

Nickel and cobalt complexes have been studied extensively using DFT.  Their geometries are of interest due to their applications as catalysts.  There is XRD data to support the structure/gemetry of many species.  And XRD data cannot be disputed...Usually with spectroscopic methods you have to do more than one type of analysis ...as you have indicated...to get a complete picture of your species of interest.  But it is a good way to become aquainted with all the methods and understanding how to interpret spectra.
Stuart, Barbara H.
Infrared Spectroscopy: Fundamentals and Applications
1st Edition
John Wiley
242 pp.
$155.00 (cloth) $65.00 (paper)

Gunzler, H., and H. Gremlich
IR Spectroscopy: An Introduction
1st Edition
John Wiley
374 pp.
$59.95 (paper)

Duckett, Simon and Bruce Gilbert
Foundations of Spectroscopy (Oxford Chemistry Primers No. 78)
1st Edition
Oxford University Press
96 pp.
$16.95
Reviewed in Journal of Chemical Education 2003 80(9) 1006

Brisdon, Alan K.
Inorganic Spectroscopic Methods (Oxford Chemistry Primers 62)
1st Edition
Oxford University Press
96 pp.
$15.95

Smith, Brian C.
Fundamentals of Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy
1st Edition
CRC Press
288 pp.
$139.95

Nakamoto, Kazuo
Infrared and Raman Spectra of Inorganic and Coordination Compounds: Part A: Theory and Applications in Inorganic Chemistry
5th Edition
John Wiley
408 pp.
$99.95
Nakamoto, Kazuo
Infrared and Raman Spectra of Inorganic and Coordination Compounds: Part B: Applications in Coordination, Organometallic and Bioinorganic Chemistry
5th Edition
John Wiley
400 pp.
$99.95

Offline Alpha-Omega

Re: Nickel(II) complexes-Additional Book
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 01:48:24 AM »
Hey,  That big blue spec book....I know could not rember the authors name...it is Silverstein.  This is so helpful in learning to name compounds...will definitly be in any University Library...or an Organic Spectroscopist has one...here is the 411:

Spectrometric Identification of Organic Compounds (7TH 05 Edition)
by Robert M. Silverstein
    About This Book
Synopses & Reviews
Comment on this title and you could win free books!
More Books by Robert M. Silverstein
ISBN13: 9780471393627
ISBN10: 0471393622
Condition: Student Owned

Wish You Success....i you decide to do XRD and/or XRF let me know.  Would be interested in the results.
All Product Details

Sponsored Links