April 20, 2024, 04:16:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: which is heavier?...h2o, or sulfur hexafluoride?  (Read 6157 times)

Offline destructables

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
which is heavier?...h2o, or sulfur hexafluoride?
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »
i am trying to do a little science expierement here, but before waisting my materials, i would like to make sure that i am not waisting them...thanks, and every feed back is appriciated!

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: which is heavier?...h2o, or sulfur hexafluoride?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:36:15 PM »
Dear Destructables;

I don’t believe your Experiment makes very much sense!

Before any Experiment, Please Read about “Sulfur Hexafluride” on Wiki! – It is a Gas at Room Temperatur or at STC!

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline destructables

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 08:47:02 PM »
well, i have read the article, several times, i still do not see what you are getting at...but theeffect that i was hoping to achieve was like a floating sphere of water, i was surfing the internet, and seen a video of a man with a fish tank that he had filled with some kind of gas...then he proceeded to take a beaker of what i prosumed was water, and slowly poured it into the tank causing it to "float" ifyou will, about mid level of the tank in a sphere! then he took a seringe, filled with air, and inserted it into the sphere of water, and injected it so there was another shpere of air inside of the sphere of water...and then repeated the process two more times.this is something that i have never seen before, but it amazed me, so i decided to try it for myself...do you, or anyone have any knowledge of what i am talking about?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:52:02 PM »
A quick google gives sulfur hexafluoride a density of greater than 6 g/l, as a nonpolar gas, it should be sparingly soluble in water.  Humph.  I always thought the trick was done with Xenon.

ARGOSS+++:
This is an old trick, floating water on a bubble of denser gas.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:45:08 PM »
A quick google gives sulfur hexafluoride a density of greater than 6 g/l,

And so?

What the OP is describing I only know of occurring in "zero g". There are various tricks with sulfur hexafluoride and making things appear to float in mid air with it. But water is not one. You can do boats and such.

This is an old trick, floating water on a bubble of denser gas.
It is not denser. Not even close.

The whole definition of a gas makes it, typically, substantially less dense then a liquid or solid....

To the OP. Water is far more dense. Sulfur hexafluoride is actually heavier, per molecule, or mole, or however you want to count it; but water is about 167 times more dense (both at room temperature and ~1 atmosphere of pressure).
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/k-6connection/Mass,w,d.htm

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »
Oops...my own search fails me ... sulfur hexafluoride is 6g/l, water's density is 1 g/cm3, so yeah, water won't float on sulfur hexafluoride.  I saw a demo, somewhere on the web, a fish swimming in water floating above some gas, but it couldn't have been sulfur hexafluoride nor xenon, for that matter.

Remember kids, watch those units.  You're teacher's not just giving you a hard time, it is important.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links