March 28, 2024, 11:25:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anyone heard back from schools yet? [2008 edition]  (Read 76331 times)

Offline MPC

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Anyone heard back from schools yet?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 07:38:44 AM »
So, I guess I'm slightly nervous too. I have good grades (University of Pittsburgh) and worked in industry (at Carnegie Mellon University) for two years. I decided to go back to grad school recently and applied to 4 schools. The thing is is that I have yet to take the Chemistry GRE. I contacted professors I was interested in at various schools personally which encouraged me to apply (either after seeing my resume, experience, or grades, etc...)

But, I have yet to hear back from any (Penn, Columbia, UC Irvine or MIT). Irvine told me that they have my application "on hold" and they will let me know if they are going to accept me directly without the score, or wait untill april after I have taken it. Does anyone have thoughts on my situation? I am getting really anxious here, but my undergraduate adviser, and freind,  here at Pitt in the chemistry program told me to relax and that everything will work out... :(

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
So, I guess I'm slightly nervous too. I have good grades (University of Pittsburgh) and worked in industry (at Carnegie Mellon University) for two years. I decided to go back to grad school recently and applied to 4 schools. The thing is is that I have yet to take the Chemistry GRE. I contacted professors I was interested in at various schools personally which encouraged me to apply (either after seeing my resume, experience, or grades, etc...)

But, I have yet to hear back from any (Penn, Columbia, UC Irvine or MIT). Irvine told me that they have my application "on hold" and they will let me know if they are going to accept me directly without the score, or wait untill april after I have taken it. Does anyone have thoughts on my situation? I am getting really anxious here, but my undergraduate adviser, and freind,  here at Pitt in the chemistry program told me to relax and that everything will work out... :(

Take the Chemistry GRE.  Everything else sounds good.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline SM30

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 12:03:32 PM »
i also applied to mit, columbia, and penn and have not heard back from any for what its worth (my grades arent considered "good" though). I've heard though that columbia finishes sending out their acceptances this week. I agree with agrobert, take the GRE chemistry and see what happens.

Offline MPC

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »
Do you think they will wait to make a decision until I get my scores in April though? It seems as though thats what Irvine implied may happen.

Offline SM30

• Chemist
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 03:17:31 PM »
most of those schools technically have until march to reply to you so i don't know that they would wait till april. You can always make deals though with these guys. I knew one grad student that got accepted to UCLA on condition that he just take the GRE so they could have it on record. Try to talk to them and explicitly get an answer. Don't rely on what you think is implied.

Offline SM30

• Chemist
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 11:37:37 PM »
aaand rejected by princeton by email. Oh and if you haven't heard from Columbia yet, you're likely rejected (i emailed them and asked). This is getting depressing.

Offline timmexo

• Very New Member
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 01:52:36 PM »
Heard back from UCSD, Michigan, UChicago, and Wisconsin

Waiting on Columbia and Yale.  Should I give up hope?

Also, in your opinion, what are the programs like for theoretical/physical chemistry at the aforementioned schools?  I'd like to do something that connects theoretical and experimental research in materials (I think), and UCSD looks like the best place to do it so far.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • diels alder
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »
UCSD has a good program for theoretical chemistry and physics with unique application.  I don't know what you are particularly interested in.  As far as the campus at UCSD you can't beat it.  Minutes from the beach and most labs have an ocean view.  Great place to spend five years.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline OldThrashbarg

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 02:52:14 PM »
Okay, so far:
UT-Austin:Accepted
UIllinois (Urbana Champaign):Accepted
Yale:Accepted
Princeton:Wait list
Haven't heard/waiting to be rejected from Columbia, Stanford

Anyone know what sort of chances I have of getting into Princeton once I'm on the waitlist?  50-50 or so? Or slim to none?

Offline SM30

• Chemist
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 06:17:27 PM »
Wow i didn't know any of these schools had waitlists. I know some have "conditional acceptances" which they send out when they feel enough people arent signing up for their admit weekends. In fact if you're still waiting on columbia their admissions coordinator told me they MIGHT be sending out a few of those in the beginning of next week, but if you haven't gotten in by then you're pretty much rejected.

UCSD is considered very good in biochem, i guess theoretical too. I think Uchicago is particularly strong in physical/analytical chemistry.

Offline MPC

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »
so, I have a professor at Irvine personally reviewing my application this week. I am hopeful, since of the four schools I have applied this is my top choice. To be honest Columbia seems to be run by a crew of egotistical A-holes. Pardon me if I have offended you, but its my honest opinion after talking with their admissions team. I have spoke with Steve Buchwald numerous times about his group and am still waiting for a reply, but then again MIT dosent usually notify until march or so. In fact, he told me that they don't even really start reviewing applications until mid Feb. So don't freak out those of you MIT hopefuls. Worry more about your grades and research. Penn is another place I am hoping for. Good luck there SM30. You seem to be pretty nervous.

Offline SM30

• Chemist
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2008, 06:48:53 PM »
rejected by stanford by mail...and yes i am nervous.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • diels alder
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2008, 06:21:18 PM »
Anyone heard from Scripps?

Offline SM30

• Chemist
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2008, 06:50:16 PM »
a friend of mine got an interview 3 weeks ago. He was contacted by email and a phone call.

Offline meek

• Very New Member
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 12:44:52 AM »
rejected by stanford by mail...and yes i am nervous.

damn. mine must be in the mail....maybe I'll get it tomorrow or sometime next week...

Sponsored Links