April 29, 2024, 08:47:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Significant Figures  (Read 9769 times)

Offline JonathanEyoon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-10
Significant Figures
« on: January 10, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
Hi all I'm having trouble understanding Significant figures.  Can someone explain it to me where I could easily understand  ??? Thanks and I appreciate it

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: Significant Figures
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:13:10 PM »

Dear JonathanEyoon;

Have you already study:   "Significant Figures

At what moment your troubles arise?

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline JonathanEyoon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-10
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:19:07 PM »
thanks for the wikipedia link~ I'm taking a look at it right now. I may have questions about addition/subtraction and multiplication/division later.

When it comes to significant figures, what is the difference between 4.0g and 4.00g?

We were asked by the teacher and couldn't figure it out  ???

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »
3. All zeros appearing to the right of an understood decimal point or nonzeros appearing to the right of a decimal after the decimal point are significant. Example: '12.2300' has six significant figures: 1,2,2,3,0 and 0. The number '0.00122300' still only has six significant figures (the zeros before the '1' are not significant). In addition, '12.00' has four significant figures.

That's from wiki. The difference is that 4.0 has 2 sig figs and 4.00 has 3 sig figs. All zeros to the right of the decimal point are significant.

This can be a tough concept to understand though because you have numbers like .0025 which only has 2 sig figs, but there are 4 numbers, two of which are 0's, after the decimal point. You have to convert to scientific notation. That's what the sig fig rules are relative to. So to figure out how many sig figs are in a number like .0025 convert to scientific notation. This will make your life easier.

.0025 --> 2.5 X 10-3

As you can see you only keep two numbers so only two of them are significant.

As a reference though 4.0, 4.00, and 400.0 in scientific notation are:
4.0 --> 4.0 X 101
4.00 --> 4.00 X 101
4000 --> 4.000 X 10 2
As you can see in scientific notation you have 2 and 3 sig figs respectively. Those at the end are always kept for reasons I can't explain.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:05 PM »
4.0 has two sig figs., 4.00 has three sig figs.  Yes, it's just that simple!

But wait, there's more...! (I'm going to stop doing that now, it's silly)

When you say, 4.0, you make a statement about your accuracy.  You're saying, "It is between (about*) 3.6 to 4.4"  When you say -- 4.00, you're saying it is between (again, about*) 3.96 to 4.04.  As you can see, the second time around the numbers are "better" i.e. more accurate.

You can only say I measured it to 4.00, if you have an instrument that works to that many decimal places.  Sometimes you have one, sometimes you don't, sometimes it's a good quality balance scale, on a shaky table, and you can't use the last decimal place, even if you want to.

Your final answer can only have as many significant figures as your worst measured value.  So, for example, if you've taken ten readings, nine of them at 3 sig figs and one at 2 sig figs(lab bench was used for can-can practice that day), you report the average to two sig figs.

These are some of  the early concepts on sig figs that everyone has to learn.

*Some people use different rules for rounding, just so you know
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 03:18:31 AM »

Some people will reject whole idea of significant figures as a fautly approach to reporting accuracy. After reading their arguments I would not dare to say they are wrong.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:11:57 AM »

Some people will reject whole idea of significant figures as a fautly approach to reporting accuracy. After reading their arguments I would not dare to say they are wrong.

I can relate, but the wikipedia entry, even with the citations, is a little heavy handed in their arguments.  The NIST may feel that it's a dumb crutch to prevent false reports of precision, but if you can't support why your answers have x degree of precision in the production of a pharmaceutical, the FDA will shut you down.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 08:53:44 AM »
Constant Thinker-EXCELLENT EXPLANATION THERE...I love the way you laid that out...very logically conceived...I actually printed that out...have it pinned on the wall....beautifully said...

Sponsored Links