April 26, 2024, 12:54:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help with a game I am making using fictional elements and compounds  (Read 7097 times)

Offline Willi_B

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
My game is currently titled Alchemy Planet. I need help with the naming of 31 compounds in a game set in a fantastical future. It is loosely based on the idea of the alchemists of old in their pursuit of making gold.

The alchemists of the future find 4 elements that they call Airium (A), Earthium (E), Firium (Fi), and Watrium (W). These 4 elements, in the game, can be put together in 4 element combinations so that 31 unique compounds can be created. Alphabetically, from A3E to FiW3 (AAAE, AAAFi, AAAW, AAEE, AAEFi, etc.). In theory, none of these elements can leave the Alchemy Planet's atmosphere in element form but can in a compound form.

In addition to naming, the game theorizes some things that may be scientifically incorrect and I would want to make it true to science fact as possible. Each of the compounds have an "in game" usage and I just don't know how realistic some of these things would be... but as I am using unknown elements I was hoping to be able to get away with a few liberties.

I was hoping to find someone on this forum that is not only knowledged in chemistry and the naming of chemical elements, but someone that is kind enough to lend me some of their time to name the compounds and tell me where I may be scientifically incorrect.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to pay any money, but I will hopefully be able to put a credit on the finished game when I sell the game to a publisher. However, this will be up to the publisher... but this is usually not a concern.

If interested, please say so and tell me how to contact you (or I can give my email via private message - don't know what this site has in that regard just yet).

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Need help with a game I am making using fictional elements and compounds
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »
I was hoping to find someone on this forum that is not only knowledged in chemistry and the naming of chemical elements, but someone that is kind enough to lend me some of their time to name the compounds and tell me where I may be scientifically incorrect.

The game has its own rules, nothing we know can help you.  You should look up what the ancient alchemists theorized, and apply them to your world as you see fit.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Kryolith

• Mole Snacks: +19/-4
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:21:11 PM »
The alchemists of the future find 4 elements that they call Airium (A), Earthium (E), Firium (Fi), and Watrium (W). These 4 elements, in the game, can be put together in 4 element combinations so that 31 unique compounds can be created. Alphabetically, from A3E to FiW3 (AAAE, AAAFi, AAAW, AAEE, AAEFi, etc.).
There are more than 31 unique compunds. If any combiation of 4 elements (not more ore less) is allowed there are 7 choose 4 = 35 combinations.

For a nomenclature just define that the containing elements must first be ordered alphabetically. Then each element get's a prefix (di, tri or tetra) if there's more than one of it.

Offline Willi_B

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 03:04:48 AM »
Is A4 a compound... or just an element? That's why I get 31 and not 35... I just figured 4 of something is still an element, no?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:34:12 AM »
A4 could of been a compound. O3(ozone) has very different properties than O2(oxygen). It is your game any rules are fair game, really.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Willi_B

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:16:17 AM »
Are there elements that remain the same from (Oxygen is just elemental example) O1 - O4 then or does each and every element behave differently depending on the number?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
A4 could of been a compound. O3(ozone) has very different properties than O2(oxygen). It is your game any rules are fair game, really.
O3, S8, C60 and so on  are still called allotropic forms of elements (though the contain bonds)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:37:58 AM by AWK »
AWK

Offline Willi_B

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:55:16 PM »
For the sake of knowledge:

Is the definition of compound 2 or more different elements or just 2 or more elements?

Sponsored Links