April 29, 2024, 05:37:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is reduction taking place when an ionic metal is exchanged for hydrogen?  (Read 6726 times)

Offline minimal

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
For instance, in Sodium Hypochlorite, NaOCl, it is an oxidant, and it itself is reduced to Hypochlorous Acid, HOCl.
What I do not understand is that technically, Na and H are both more electropositive than O, so how is there a change of oxidation state?

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-9
Can you give an example of a reaction where this seems to be taking place?

Offline minimal

I'm was responding to something that someone said when I was asking about the connection between acids, bases, and oxidizers and reducers.

Their quote was this, "A lot of anions (which derive from acids) are common oxidants, although they are bases and have no acidic character. For example ClO- or MnO4-. Correct me, if i misunderstood the problem."

Those anions exist as either salts or acids though correct? Eg, NaOCl or HOCl, or KMnO4 etc. 

But now that I look at it is he saying literally just the anions existing independently? That could only occur in a very basic solution though correct?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
But now that I look at it is he saying literally just the anions existing independently? That could only occur in a very basic solution though correct?

Depends on the acid strength. For example HMnO4 can be considered a strong acid, dissociated 100% in most solutions.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline minimal

Ok, so then we would say that something is only an oxidizer and a base or an acid and a reducer when it causes a change of charge?

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
something is an oxidizer or a reducer if there is a change of "oxidation state/number" of an element; (the term "charge" is reserved for ionic particles which may or maynot be an monoatomic ion (ion of an element))

An oxidizing agent may be an acid

e.g. Mg  +  2HCl --> MgCl2  +  H2

or an anion (which usually does this in an acidic or basic solution - pH can be important) -

OCl-  +  3I-  +  H2O  -->  I3-   + Cl-   +  2OH-

Are you trying to correlate that an oxidizer is a base and a reducer is an acid? don't think there is a correlation

For instance, in Sodium Hypochlorite, NaOCl, it is an oxidant, and it itself is reduced to Hypochlorous Acid, HOCl.
What I do not understand is that technically, Na and H are both more electropositive than O, so how is there a change of oxidation state?

there is no change in oxidation state here if you are implying this reaction

NaOCl  +  H2O  -->  HOCl  +  Na+  +  OH-

HOCl <-->  H+  + OCl-

Offline minimal

something is an oxidizer or a reducer if there is a change of "oxidation state/number" of an element; (the term "charge" is reserved for ionic particles which may or maynot be an monoatomic ion (ion of an element))

An oxidizing agent may be an acid

e.g. Mg  +  2HCl --> MgCl2  +  H2

or an anion (which usually does this in an acidic or basic solution - pH can be important) -

OCl-  +  3I-  +  H2O  -->  I3-   + Cl-   +  2OH-

Are you trying to correlate that an oxidizer is a base and a reducer is an acid? don't think there is a correlation

there is no change in oxidation state here if you are implying this reaction

NaOCl  +  H2O  -->  HOCl  +  Na+  +  OH-

HOCl <-->  H+  + OCl-

Thanks for your help.  Well I'm just trying to figure out how oxidizers/reducers and acids/bases are related, so I can conceptualize it.  I know they are related in some way.  For instance, a Lewis acid is an electron acceptor, as is an oxidizer.
Obviously by example I know they're not the same thing.  So would it be safe to say that an oxidation always involves the total transfer of electrons, while an acid involves a trade or no movement at all?
Basically I'm just trying to figure out their relation because they are described in such similar terms, though different enough.  I understand what they are and I can do a problem and identify whether something is an acid or a base, or a reducer or an oxidizer, but I just feel like I won't understand it until I'm able to think of it in this way, to break it into some sort of 'unifying' principle...
I know that oxidizers and reducers are known for changing the oxidation state, but that is either transferring electrons or bonding to a particle that reverses its electronegativity/electropositivity? Same thing most of the time.  Whereas with acids and bases electronegativity and electropositivity are always maintained?  And acids and bases obviously are affected by electronegativity because that is what forces an H+ ion out of HCl.  I think it's weird because electronegativity plays such a large part in both of them, that they have to have some sort of relation.

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
Thanks for your help.  Well I'm just trying to figure out how oxidizers/reducers and acids/bases are related, so I can conceptualize it.  I know they are related in some way.  For instance, a Lewis acid is an electron acceptor, as is an oxidizer.
Obviously by example I know they're not the same thing.  So would it be safe to say that an oxidation always involves the total transfer of electrons, while an acid involves a trade or no movement at all?

yes to the above, but how is this helpful?
an acid is a reagent, oxidation is a process
an acid as a reagent can undergo the process of oxidation depending on the
other reagent in the reaction or it may not.

I think trying to unify the idea of acids and bases (even Lewis acids and bases) with oxidation/reduction will only lead you to more confusion since it could not be generalized.
Some Lewis acids accept electrons, but without change in oxidation number - meaning no oxidation and so no correlation.

Ex. SO2 + H2O -->  H2SO3
SO2 is Lewis acid, H2O base but there is no oxidation. All oxidation numbers stay the same

and I could give a few more examples

"electronegativity/electropositivity "
electroneg is specific for elements, there is no term electropositivity

I think you might mean electrophilic (lacks electrons looking for more electrons- like Lewis acid)
and nucleophilic (has lots of e- , looking for nucleus that is electron deficient)

the ideas of acids/bases; oxidation/reduction ; Lewis acids and bases are not always perfect - but work well individually for the most part. I can see how you might find commonalities but a simple unifying principle across these concepts doesn't work (otherwise we would have found it by now!)

Sponsored Links