April 19, 2024, 06:01:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Butyl nitrite  (Read 4574 times)

axon

Butyl nitrite
« on: February 21, 2005, 04:02:05 PM »
Does anyone know anything about butyl nitrite ? Does it degrade to NO and NO2?  If so, how fast ?  Also how's the best way to make up solutions of it, and the best way to store it ?

akami

Re:Butyl nitrite
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 08:07:32 PM »
Butyl nitrite is, as many alkyl nitrites, very unstable. It is degraded at ambiant temp so store in fridge. Yes, it can decompose to nitrous oxydes, corresponding alcool.
a good solvent is absolute ethanol.
avoid product vapors, inhalation results in heart acceleration and headache, or maybe it is what you are seeking.... poppers is pentyl homolog.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 09:12:54 PM »
I have a bottle of butyl nitrite, I haveen't ever had a problem with either butyl nitrite, or isobutyl nitrite degrading, I keep my isobutyl nitrite in a box with a load of various herbs, seeds and what have you, in a cool dry place, and it comes in an amber glass bottle (I buy it OTC, as "poppers").

Practically speaking, its not essential to keep it refrigerated, just out of light and reasnable cool, in a drawer or cupboard is sufficient.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

axon

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 02:15:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Not using it for recreational use, just doing some legit experiments with it.  I discovered after doing a few experiements with it that it stains plastic yellow, which is a pain as I think this means I'm gonna have to use glassware in my experimental setup.

Sponsored Links