April 27, 2024, 06:52:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Paraffinic Mineral Oil  (Read 7240 times)

Offline evan_inquires

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Paraffinic Mineral Oil
« on: March 26, 2008, 04:08:50 AM »
I appreciate further explanation on this topic:  Paraffinic Mineral oil. What carbon number range are there in the mineral oil? I would like also to know some additional reads on 'Petroleum Distillates hydrotreated middle', why is this product called as such and how it is processed.
Thank you very much.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Paraffinic Mineral Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:26:50 AM »
And we would like you to read forum rules. Googling for Paraffinic Mineral Oil gives 1,830,000 hits - have you tried to read at least one of them?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline evan_inquires

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:32:10 AM »
Thanks. I've read some, but haven't hit the information I was looking for.  ???
I was looking for the carbon number ranges of mineral oil and the other inquiry.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 06:50:10 AM »
As I understand it, lower boiling fractions, like natural gas, gasoline*, kerosene, diesel fuel, and maybe some others, have a simple range of hydrocarbons, some with a few branches in their composition. 

But higher boiling fractions, become very complicated, very quickly, with multiple branches, and aliphatic and aromatic rings.  You won't succeed in attempting to apply the same rules to the latter group as was applied to the first group.

*When I say gasoline, I mean the fraction of crude oil distillation called gasoline, basically hexanes through octanes, not the stuff that goes in an automobiles gas tank, which is a diverse mixture with a variety of properties.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links