April 24, 2024, 11:59:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Massive Cologne Spill, what will neutralize it?  (Read 10998 times)

Offline cipherfx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Massive Cologne Spill, what will neutralize it?
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:00:56 PM »
Hey Guys,

I had a whole bottle of Aqua Di Gio cologne spill all over our ceramic tile bathroom floor. I cleaned up the spill as quickly as I could but its spreading all through the house. But mainly it still stinks.  Is there any chemicals that would work best with neutralizing the ordor of cologne?

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas/ solutions.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Massive Cologne Spill, what will neutralize it?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »
The ceramic tile is unlikely to absorb much of the cologne's solvents and aroma compounds.  The grouting might hold more, but there's less of it in the floor, so that's not a big contributor.  Pretty much, what you smell is all in the air, and will wear out in time.

Febreze brand deodorizers do contain chemical molecules to trap  bad odors, but that may only work for bad odors -- molecules that contain -SH groups, not for pleasant scents.  After all, they can scent Febreze, can't they?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:53:48 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:52:32 PM »
Yeah man.  Ventilation is key.  Open some windows (if it's not too cold) so that the cologne can flow outdoors.

Nerdily speaking, by moving some of the air-borne cologne outside, you're changing the equilibrium between what's in the air and what's attached to stuff in your house.  Getting fresh air will help get it un-attached from that stuff (if it's attached at all....Arkcon is right it's probably mostly in the air).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:03:46 AM »
Most likely everything in the house is now covered with the adsorbed scent, so your chances of simple neutralization are low. I can smell your pain ;) Patience and ventillation. Overheating and ventillation (if you can afford them this time of the year) can speed up the process.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links