March 28, 2024, 10:02:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: This is not a joke  (Read 12428 times)

ssssss

This is not a joke
« on: July 27, 2005, 10:28:37 AM »
Now dont get Crazy after reading this.The fact i am telling reflects the Hollowness of stinking indian education system.

My chemistry Coach once went to a seminar.There was a person explaining something about adenine,guanine thiamine etc in biochemistry.[i dont know what exactly was that].Now that person who was explaining was considered a well known professor of chemistry in that state at that time.He had assisted 19 students to attain their Phd degree.

As he was giving a lecture a person asked to explain H bonding in one structure.Now this is what he showed....

H....H,as H bonding.Now the person even dont know difference between vanderwal forces and H bonding.
Interestingly no one dared argue on it.But some 10 min. later another person asked the same question and he again showed H.....H vandewal force as H bonding.

At that point my Coach stood up and told him about the concept of H bonding.

I am speechless on our indian society so you better conlude the rest.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:29:53 AM by ssssss »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:This is not a joke
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 01:31:48 PM »
i believe the chemistry talk was related to DNA base pairing. which element of incident that you find it demonstrate the hollowness of the education system?

1. the professor can't explain h-bonding properly
2. nobody dares to rectify him
3. why are there people who don't understand H-bonding attending the seminar?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

GCT

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 07:35:03 PM »
well obviously he took it literally, hydrogen-"bonding" H--H...get it?  You shoudn't be so quick to condemn someone.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 07:35:43 PM by GCT »

ssssss

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:27:51 AM »
well i knew it will be difficult believing it.But ite true.

And geodome every one in the seminar knew the blunder that professor was showing but as i said they dint dare to argue with him.He was a reputed professor of that time.

I understand its difficult to believe in this but i can tell you more similar incidence that occured with me.May be someday when i have spare time i will post about them.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 05:13:58 PM »
i like to point out my lecturer's mistake during lecture (if i could). it was an enjoyable experience. it was during my biochemistry lecture. the lecturer was trying to explain how 1 carbon from 1 glucose molecule is consumed during kreb cycle, when in fact it was all 6 carbon.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links