March 28, 2024, 11:08:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Lab routine  (Read 3946 times)

Offline atomic_TU

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organic Lab routine
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:28:40 AM »
Today, I feel tired. Even, new year eve, I'm still working.
I wonder what grad student in the other school working for their research.
I'm a graduate student of an university in Texas.
The policy of my group is all students have to work 6 days a week with 60 hours at lease. Only three week for holiday including thanksgiving, christmas, new year and all public holiday that mean whatever the day you take off from lab it counts. Subgroup meeting every two week, alternates with biweekly report and research presentation every semester including summer.

What do think about my routine? Is it normal for synthetic chem grad student? And how about your routine? please share you idea...Thanks     

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Organic Lab routine
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:43:07 AM »
I would love to hear people's comments on this.  I am currently an undergraduate but I am, as of now planning to go to grad school.  This is one aspect that has me a little "nervous".

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:13:12 AM »
The schedule quoted is not at all uncommon for a professional working in an R&D or QC laboratory, a fact that many of my friends who are blue collar laborers find absolutely shocking.  Furthermore, I have always been an exempt employee, meaning I am exempt from Federal and State laws regarding overtime pay.  Therefore, I don't get any, even if I'm required to work overtime.  As I've related to many people at work before, science is a harsh mistress.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline glycogrl07

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:30:04 PM »
Yes, Arkcon.  I am exempt from overtime pay as well.  I am a biochemist going back to school for my Org. PhD.  I am a full-time employee, taking night classes, just started, but in two semesters will have my fellowship from the school.  I have 3 yrs undergrad research in a carb lab, and believe me it was not easy.  I was registered for one credit, but I love the lab and undertook grad-level research.  This meant that I had to put in 20-30 hrs/wk in addition to my studies (full-time student) and a part-time job that worked me about 30 hrs/wk also. 

To the undergrad... if you love it, you won't mind it.  I am pursing a future that excites me; I study a chemistry that I am passionate about.  Don't get scared by what we tell you, just understand that the sciences don't run on the same time frame as us humans.  We prefer to eat and sleep at certain times, but we are ruled by the reactions and perseverance to expand our knowledge for all scientists and the world.

-that's my 2cents.

glycogrl07
If we only get one chance at life, taking chances will be my life!

Offline absbhai

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:50:54 AM »
differs from person to person pal. When i was doing my Ph.D (in catalysis) i didnt work long hours. 5 days a week with a 4 week vaccation and public holidays was awayws available. But some professors in my institute expected their students to be working 7 days a week for almost 14 hours a days (with small relaxation for sundays). So i guess it depends on the institute and also the guide. Good luck for your Ph.D.

Sponsored Links