April 18, 2024, 07:42:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrogen Peroxide  (Read 44413 times)

Corvettaholic

Re:Hydrogen Peroxide
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »
Well sodium CAN explode in sufficient quantity. Did you see the thing on the sodium party? Looks dangerous. I'd have to agree with mitch, that posting the "how-to" on dangerous reactions is a bad idea. As for the thermite thread, I didn't ask how to ignite or prep it for a reason, cause I already know and thats something that needs to be researched if you're bent on doing it.

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2004, 02:00:56 PM »
Well, anyone who is careful enough to handle explosives can probably find out the how-to stuff without our help. Speaking of witch, I’m designing a vacuum chamber for handling sodium, potassium, phosphorus etc.
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2004, 07:20:03 PM »
You'd best be suited by designing an inert gas chamber to handle Na, K, etc.  The big problem with them is that, even though they're explosive with water, they leave behind a lot of nasty chemicals, like NaOH, etc.  You don't want to breathe that or get it in your eyes--the strong base can burn your retina out.

Although you say that you do your own research, as a HS student with no chemistry training and no access to a university library or better, I'd say that you're asking for at least a bit of trouble when working with energetic or hazardous materials.  I hope you don't hurt yourself.

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2004, 08:12:23 PM »
I will take safety precautions, and only make the stuff in small amounts.
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Sponsored Links