April 24, 2024, 01:30:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: polymeric phases for hplc  (Read 3206 times)

Offline ROSETTA

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
polymeric phases for hplc
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:34:32 AM »
Hi, wondering if someone can help me.  I read that polymeric phases were developed to minimise electrostatic interactions between silanol groups and basic analytes.

Does this refer to xterra phases, where the pH can be high and therefore the basic analytes are in the unionised form.
Or, is it referring to something else.
Please help
Rosie

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: polymeric phases for hplc
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »
Traditionally, the choice was silica-based bonded phases (example:C18 bonded to silica), which had problems with silanol interactions, and polymeric phases, which had durability and resolution problems (example: polystyrene beads)

The newer Xterra phases are silica based, with embedded methyl groups, to help the media survive base attack, but they are not synonymous with polymeric phases.  They carry a premium price for their versatility, and they are not a panacea for column abuse.

You'll need to be as specific as possible with your needs, you'll have to say what you've tried and what hasn't worked, and you'll probably want to try this web site here:http://www.chromatographyforum.com/ they're a little more specific.

'Couse this is a favorite topic of mine, and I can talk for hours about it. 
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links