April 23, 2024, 08:43:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: uplc  (Read 14988 times)

Offline ROSETTA

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
uplc
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:37:20 PM »
Hi, does anyone think the future of chromatography lies in UPLC.  Or does anyone have other ideas
Thanks
Rosie

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: uplc
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »
Very hard to decide conclusively.  The advantages in throughput can save a great deal of analytical time.  But you've locked yourself in to one vendor.  Furthermore, not all column chemistries are represented, as yet, in the UPLC format, so you may have to change your methods. 

FWIW, I've seen enough labs rely on outdated equipment they can't afford to replace, that everyone has to slog through.  So for me, locking yourself to one system from one vendor isn't the worst thing you can do.  So if I was outfitting a lab, I'd buy one. 
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline ROSETTA

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »
thank you.  I see what you mean, about the compromise between speed and choice.
So perhaps, with the evolution of column technology in that direction, it will be an excellent alternative to convention rplc\
Many thanks
Rosie

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 04:40:34 PM »
Actually, most of the courses and seminars I have recently attended...the trend of thought is away from this technology...the cost of analysis is too high..you get the same results by manipulating the chemistry on standard columns...without the high cost of replacing pump seals and columns. The pressures required to operate the columns are significantly greater that used for traditional HPLC.

Ultra-High Performance LC (U-HPLC) uses small particle size column packing material necessary to provide efficiency to resolve peaks at higher flow rates. As a result, sample throughput is increased. Performance tradeoffs using this technique can include :

Higher back pressures leading to more mechanical stress and wear.
Column life times reduced as small particle sizes lead to faster clogging.
Extracolumn band broadening can occur, negatively impacting the gain in resolution.

Enjoy the read:

http://www1.dionex.com/en-us/lp61908.html

The links at the bottom are pretty good too.

With just a few manipulations in chemistry of the mobile phase and temperature you can get the same results with RPLC...

The problem is that most people who operate HPLC DO NOT KNOW CHEMISTRY...they are just operators...they are not capable of adjusting the chemistry to facilitate the same results...

What you choose just depends on the amount of money you wish to throw at a project.  Keep in mind that most HPLC operators are incapable of PMing their systems...they just push buttons and expect an analysis to appear...The cost of operation is usually a primary concern.

Reference David Carr: 

http://www1.dionex.com/en-us/training/lp_dxprn48375.html

http://www1.dionex.com/en-us/training/lp_dxprn48374.html

You might want to check the Shimadzu site as well....since they have the same point of view....

Jasco is another:

http://www.jasco.co.uk/ultra_high_pressure_LC.asp

Here is a link to huge resources for HPLC:  http://www.lcresources.com/resources/reslinks.html

This material is provided by the heaviest hitters in the industry.

on-line texts and courses
basics for students
magazines and journals
regionals discussion groups
on-line message boards and discussion groups
manufacturers and suppliers

There will be alot of this at Pittcon this year...SEE YOU THERE...

Offline Stryder08

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »
Have you ever used UPLC?  We have two Waters UPLC/TOF(MS) and 5 Waters UPLC/MS/MS systems in our lab (forensic toxicology). 

I believe UPLC IS the future and the present.

We are seeing columns last just as long as they would have with traditional HPLC, sometimes even longer.  We inject probably the worst case scenario in what a lab would inject (diluted urine or blood precipitated with organic solvent).  In other labs, what do you inject?  How long does a typical column last?

The high pressure (up to 15,000 psi) does not wreak havoc.  I routinely run methods at a consistent 12-13,000 psi.  No problems whatsoever.  Run times have been dramatically decreased from 10 - 15 minutes a specimen to 3 to 4 minutes per specimen; sometimes, even a 1 - 1.5 minute run.

There is alot of misinformation out there.  I would suggest to everyone to actually use an Acquity UPLC and make up their own minds.

UPLC with a detector is not really that expensive.  The real money comes into play when you want the UPLC with a sensitive MS (Quattro Premier XE, LCT Premier XE)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 10:07:38 PM by Stryder08 »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »
Ultra-High Performance LC (U-HPLC) uses small particle size column packing material necessary to provide efficiency to resolve peaks at higher flow rates. As a result, sample throughput is increased.

I haven't had time to digest each reference, but I gotta agree with Stryder08, there's a lot of value in shortening runtime, particularly in a QC environment, where multiple samples have to be run, in as short a time period as possible.  Unfortunately, QC is the last place where you'll encounter people willing to innovate, despite the benefits.  However, speeding throughput is worthwhile in any discipline.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »
I totally agree wiuth all that....the biggest downside...is the people running the systems...they blow columns left and right and the pressures on those seals blow the seals and check valves...so they are high end maintenance...In a prioduction environment..EXCELLENT Choice if you have on-site technical support....

I would never oppose technological advancement in the area of instrumentation.....BUT...the big picture has to be taken into account...

QC production in pharma is looking at this seriously....but consider the system validations, method transfers, method validations,....the work will be huge....

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 03:32:24 PM »
The only concern with UPLC that I have is that the amount of user required maintenance is extremely minimal.

On a personal note, I have learned so much about HPLC from the performance of "hands-on" instrumentmaintenance which will be "effectively" absent in those will learn therir trade on UPLCs, where even the tubing sections are custom made parts.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

MRR

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »
HMMMM.. I disagree...I have found that they are high maintenance.  Column must be replaced often.  the pumps require maintenance.  I like the speed....but...I have to say the upkeep is costly.

MDMTX

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 06:27:44 PM »
Column cost is high...

Offline Stryder08

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 09:09:32 PM »
HMMMM.. I disagree...I have found that they are high maintenance.  Column must be replaced often.  the pumps require maintenance.  I like the speed....but...I have to say the upkeep is costly.

I run postmortem blood, tissue, gastric contents, and urine (precipitated/diluted with Acetonitrile) every day (probably the worst case scenario any person will inject).  I've had to replace the check valves once in this past year.  I have damaged the needle twice (my fault!).   No other maintenance required in the past year.  The annual PM was completed yesterday on the UPLC and MS.

I go through about 2 columns (HSS T3 chemistry) per month.  Not really anymore than what I did previously with HPLC/MS.  Actually get a few more injections out of these UPLC columns; typically 1,200 - 1,800.

Could you expound on what would constitute "high maintenance"?  I like to hear other opinions that differ to mine.

Offline Stryder08

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
Column cost is high...

How does the cost of a UPLC column compare to the cost of whatever you normally use?

RadonX

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »
Then you are not in production....and that is not the worst...but to each his own...we have a service contract at 118K per annum.

Offline Stryder08

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 10:42:31 PM »
Then you are not in production....and that is not the worst...but to each his own...we have a service contract at 118K per annum.

Please define 'production'.

Offline ETOX

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 06:53:12 AM »
it will be helpful in terms of pesticide residue analysis especially in routine work when you need to reduce the time betwen each run, and faced huge samples have to be analysis in specific time. but there is no official work until now regarding of this method.

Sponsored Links