March 29, 2024, 03:12:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A question about anaerobes!  (Read 17944 times)

Offline Extra love

• Mole Snacks: +0/-17
A question about anaerobes!
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »
Facultative anaerobes can live under either aerobic or anaerobic conditions. What metabolic pathways allow these organisms to continue to harvest energy from sugar molecules in the absence of oxygen?

*delete me* Thanks!

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: A question about anaerobes!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:51:36 PM »
Please read the Forum Rules.  You should that show you've at least attempted to answer the problem before we will help you.

What pathways for carbohydrate metabolism do you know?  Which ones rely on the presence of oxygen?  A quick search on google or wikipedia on anaerobic respiration should give you the answer to this and your other questions.

Offline Extra love

• Mole Snacks: +0/-17
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:32:21 PM »
Please read the Forum Rules.  You should that show you've at least attempted to answer the problem before we will help you.

What pathways for carbohydrate metabolism do you know?  Which ones rely on the presence of oxygen?  A quick search on google or wikipedia on anaerobic respiration should give you the answer to this and your other questions.

Yes, you are right. But i did try it before i asked. I know Pentose phosphate pathway, entner-doudoroff pathway, and embden-meyerhof pathway. I guess Pentose phosphate pathway should be the answer. But i am not sure about it. So am i right?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »
Did you try to search for anaerobic respiration on google?  The answer to your question is in the first sentence of the first hit on a google search for anaerobic respiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_respiration

Sponsored Links