Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

This might be useful to some people

(1/3) > >>

Corvettaholic:
In one of my previous threads, I was talking about making a thermite furnace (never mind that its a bad idea). I was educated as to the need to contact the ATF for legal reasons. So I did. If anybody is doing anything that might require a permit and doesn't know anything about it, you can print out the form here:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f540013.pdf

Mail that in, plus the fees, and it should be all good providing you have legit reasons for needing it. Hope this keeps somebody out of jail  ;D

hmx9123:
Before mailing the ATF form in:

1. Make sure your ducks are in a row.  The ATF doesn't like having their time wasted.  If you are making something that requires a magazine to store, have the magazine ready before you apply for a permit.

2. The LEUP (Low Explosives Users Permit) is sometimes referred to as the LicensE to search yoUr Property.  Think about that.

Corvettaholic:
Yeah, I don't plan on mailing it in until I finish redoing my shed for storage use. I think if you're willing to pay those kind of fee's, then you're actually serious about experimentation and have actually done some safety homework. I don't plan on getting hurt, nor do I plan on playing with dangerous stuff on a large scale. With the exception of the thermite furnace if I ever get around to it. Also the way I figure it, if you actually bother to get a license, as opposed to making stuff unlicensed, you're most likely not a terrorist and being searched shouldn't be a problem. Just my two cents though.

hmx9123:
Being searched isn't a problem if you're not a terrorist, unless you have improper storage of things that have nothing to do with fireworks.  Have any firearms that aren't stored properly?  How about extra black powder laying around for them?  As soon as you get a magazine for LE storage, you need to put your BP in ther as well.  Although they won't give a crap about things like expired license plate tags on your car, they can prosecute you for any violations on things that fall into their jurisdiction, even if they have nothing to do with your magazine.

Also, you have to get state and local permits as well.  Plus, you need to check everything out with your local fire marshall as well.  Call your ATF office, talk to the local agent who's in charge, then talk to the local and state fire marshalls.  It might cost you more than just the federal permits.  Although I could get a federal permit while living here in CA, I couldn't get a local permit, so my money would be wasted.

Corvettaholic:
You know, I didn't even consider anything below the federal level. Thing is, Arizona is really relaxed on a lot of things, so it shouldn't be too big of an issue. And the only firearm I used is stashed in an US Army armory, with enough to security to stop a diamond thief. Its kind of neat how the armory is put together. I'll definantly check on local laws before I invest money in a federal permit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version