April 25, 2024, 12:10:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nickel  (Read 3419 times)

Krystal

Nickel
« on: February 26, 2005, 05:08:39 AM »
Ok, I need MAJOR help with the following urgently... Sorry Just read the message that your supposed to read before listing a question !
1) Describe the main uses or applications for Nickel
    Indentify any substances or materials to which the element is added to improve the materials properties (pic/ diagram inc)
For this question I have that 65% of use is in stainless steel. I get that you alloy it will Chromium, but I dont understand what the chromium does to the nickel - is it chorosion rates etc ?

2) Are there any hazards associated with the element ? I have for this question that the dust contains carcogens which cause cancer. And something else can cause malformations in feotus etc ??
3) Is it part of a group of elements that have similar properties ? I have the transition metals group but I dont understand what they have common cos its such a big group
4) Name any minerals that contain the element

5) Discuss the main sources of the element -

If anyone can help with these it would be so greatly appreciated :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 05:59:07 AM by Krystal »

dexangeles

Re:Nickel
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:21:16 PM »
2) Are there any hazards associated with the element ? I have for this question that the dust contains carcogens which cause cancer. And something else can cause malformations in feotus etc ??

1. carcogens should be carcinogen
2. abnormalities in fetus is caused by teratogens

here is one site that helps me in quickie researches
it gives everything to atomic and physical properties, almost like CRC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel

Sponsored Links