April 27, 2024, 03:05:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Counter anion affecting solubility  (Read 4552 times)

Offline dismith58

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Counter anion affecting solubility
« on: January 31, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »
A salt can be highly soluble in an organic solution (ex ethyl acetate) OR in an aqueous solution depending on the identity of the counter anion, X-.

Propose a reason as to how X- can change the solubility and how it can be soluble in water with one anion, but another anion can make the salt soluble in organic solutions.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Counter anion affecting solubility
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 11:50:30 AM »
And your proposition is ?

Read forum rules!
AWK

Offline kb2009

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:24:36 PM »
X can change the solubility due to its charge and size (ie multiple charged ions are less soluble than single charged ions and smaller ions are more soluble than larger ones) Anions can ionize in solution and therefore be an insoluble salt in water (eg AgCl). High polarity of solvents can also affect the solubility with organic systems.

Offline 0000000

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-7
  • chemist
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
X can change the solubility due to its charge and size (ie multiple charged ions are less soluble than single charged ions and smaller ions are more soluble than larger ones) Anions can ionize in solution and therefore be an insoluble salt in water (eg AgCl). High polarity of solvents can also affect the solubility with organic systems.

I am not pro with this generalization, just to remind you that the solubility is proportional with breaking of the crystal ionic structure, there fore the charge and size of the ions are affecting the strength of the bonds within too, that so we can not generalize.

i know that I was not so understandable here, if so reply and I will modify the post
My name is Bond, Covalent Bond

Sponsored Links