• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Childhood
« on: January 26, 2008, 01:35:32 PM »
It happened that I have prepared a page with pictures of the block I lived in as a kid/teenager and the interior of the school I attended at the time. I realized it may be interesting for some of you to take a look - how does it compare to the large cities/schools in other countries.

http://www.bpp.com.pl/92/mb-zatrasie.htm

Back in 60/70-ties all buildings were grey, they were painted in 2005. Comments are mostly about the addresses of the buldings or some memories, they will not tell you much more about the place.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
Re: Childhood
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:05:24 PM »
Oh well, I don't like answering my own posts, but I don't want to edit the previous one - as some may have already read it and they will miss addendum...

http://www.bpp.com.pl/92/zatrasie-old.htm

These are pictures taken back then. As I told you - all buildings were grey ;)

Man with a mustache is my Father. That was one of the first pictures I took by myself with my own camera. It must be somewhere around 1974.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:46:49 AM »
Here in the US, it looks the generally the same when you go to larger major cities, I.E. the top ones listed here.

However, when it is not those cities they are usually no where near as tall, as they have larger foot-prints. And typically not square.

That is my experience anyway. I would not say definitive.

1-8th grade, my school was a one story giant squared off U shape with a really nice garden in the U.
My high-school (9-12th) was like a 3 story H connected to a 2 story K.

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:03:21 PM »
Very interesting.  It seems you have a lot more trees over there.  Most parks from my experience tend to have a few big trees rather than a tonne of those medium sized ones  :P

Also, apartment buildings from my experience don't tend to have balconies as much as those ones do.  I know there are several other differences, but I can't quite put my finger on them.... I can agree with Shane, though, that schools tend not to be rectangular in my area.  They always have halls jutting off of them, and both my high school and middle school have court yards.
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline Kryolith

• Mole Snacks: +19/-4
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 04:00:56 AM »
Looks really nice. The areal looks like a park or something. I guess that's a good place to learn/spend your freetime. My school had one tree in the school yard, but at least some in close quarters...

At least the city I of my university looks very nice and "green".

I attached a picture of my school building, 1 aerial view of the campus, where I go to and 1 of the "Altstadt".

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »
Very interesting.  It seems you have a lot more trees over there.  Most parks from my experience tend to have a few big trees rather than a tonne of those medium sized ones

This part of the city is known for its greenery. Most trees were planted at about the time buildings were erected, in the first half of sixites.

I can agree with Shane, though, that schools tend not to be rectangular in my area.  They always have halls jutting off of them, and both my high school and middle school have court yards.

See here:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.264658,20.964832&spn=0.002466,0.004989&t=h&z=18&om=0

Scholl is right in the center. White square is a roof of newly built gym, before there was a courtyard at this place and old gym is in the adjoining part of the building to the EN. Southern wing is three-story high, everything else is just one level on the ground. Old gym is sunken in the ground so it his higher than it may look. Main entrance is on the right.

Offline 0000000

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-7
  • chemist
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »
Oh well, I don't like answering my own posts, but I don't want to edit the previous one - as some may have already read it and they will miss addendum...

http://www.bpp.com.pl/92/zatrasie-old.htm

These are pictures taken back then. As I told you - all buildings were grey ;)

Man with a mustache is my Father. That was one of the first pictures I took by myself with my own camera. It must be somewhere around 1974.

:o I have the same photos, the same concrete buildings, funny outfit...  ;D interesting, then I lived in Yugoslavia country close with Poland in many ways
My name is Bond, Covalent Bond

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »
I have the same photos, the same concrete buildings, funny outfit...  ;D interesting, then I lived in Yugoslavia country close with Poland in many ways

Hardly surprising that pictures are similar. So called people democracy countries were in many aspects identical, even if in theory they were not.

Sponsored Links