April 19, 2024, 06:27:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rocket Candy formula  (Read 8052 times)

Offline flipper_gv

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Rocket Candy formula
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »
Hey everyone,

this is my first post on this forum and I'd like to know what really happens when you make rocket candy with sugar and KNO3. Also, it would be very helpful if you could tell me what is the molecule that constitutes the rocket candy (the name, structure (if possible), and average concentration in rocket candy).

Thanks a lot

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Rocket Candy formula
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:32:54 AM »
Hey everyone,

this is my first post on this forum

Welcome

and I'd like to know what really happens when you make rocket candy with sugar and KNO3.

you melt them together, carefully, and they mix.  This is called, a mixture

Also, it would be very helpful if you could tell me what is the molecule that constitutes the rocket candy (the name, structure (if possible), and average concentration in rocket candy).

Mixtures don't have structures, names or molecules, except for the structures, names and molecules of the individual components.  Any recipe you find online will give you amounts to mix, so any concentrations of individual components is just what you've mixed.

Thanks a lot

Shine on you crazy diamond.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline flipper_gv

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 08:26:45 AM »
ok, but what makes the sugar and potassium nitrate an explosive mixture. I really don't get it. I thought that it had to be a some sort of straight structure to be explosive and sugar is a cyclic molecule  :-\.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:28:18 AM »
ok, but what makes the sugar and potassium nitrate an explosive mixture.

It's not.  It is a fuel and an oxidizer.  It may explode in a confined space, or burn rapidly providing thrust for a model rocket, or make lots of smoke when burned in an open slab (that's from the Anarchist's Cookbook).

I really don't get it. I thought that it had to be a some sort of straight structure to be explosive and sugar is a cyclic molecule  :-\.

Nope.  Read more.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links