April 24, 2024, 05:16:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: polarity of NaOH in water  (Read 12318 times)

Offline johnj7

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
polarity of NaOH in water
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:39:37 PM »
Hello,
I'm struggling with the concept of "salting-out" and I the solubility of certain substances.
I know that adding NaCL to water will cause the polarity to increase by a lot, but what will adding NaOH to water do to the polarity?  Will it also increase?

The question I'm really trying to figure out is this: the solubility of benzoic acid in water is 3.4 g/l.  The solubility of benzoic acid in 0.1M solution of NaOH is 12.2 g/L. Explain why this is so much larger than the solubility in water. 

Here's my attempted answer:  water has only hydrogen bonds to offer to try to break up the association of benzoic acid molecules.  Since hydrogen bonds are relatively weak, the benzoic acid molecules would rather associate with each other than with water.  Consequently, the solubility of benzoic acid is small.  Benzoic acid is also largely non polar, and will not like to associate with water.  In a solution of NaOH, there will be stronger ion-dipole reactions (?) and thus more benzoic acid dissolves.  Does more benzoic acid also dissolve because NaOH decreases polarity?

Any help/clarity is much appreciated.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: polarity of NaOH in water
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
NaOH does something else, quite fundemental, that helps benzoic acid dissolve.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:53:46 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline johnj7

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 12:13:31 AM »
Oh okay, so NaOH strips the hydrogen off benzoic acid, meaning that there will be no more hydrogen bonding between benzoic acid molecules, and that's why it dissolves? 

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 01:56:18 AM »
Does salt dissolve in water?  What kind of bond is held between NaCl? How is sodium benzoate similar?
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline johnj7

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »
hmm okay, I think I got it
So NaOh strips the hydrogen off of benzoic acid, creating an anion which forms a salt with Na.  Salts like NaCl are held together with ionic bonds, which easily separate in water.  Therefore, the solubility of benzoic acid is more soluble in 0.1 M solution of NaOH than in just water. 

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links