March 19, 2024, 05:20:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: "cutting edge" chemistry project  (Read 25773 times)

Corvettaholic

Re:"cutting edge" chemistry project
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 01:36:06 PM »
Please do, I like to read about neat ways of electricity generation.

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 07:53:32 AM »
basically what it does is from my recollection the scientist squirted water through little holes in a glass disk and a minute electric current was produced.The rest I just worked out and read from the article and I couldn't be bothered to write it all up so here it is ( note it is from the sydney morning herald)

also here are some of the article you missed.

[Sorry had to change things... page looking too messed up GP]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 01:20:00 PM by gregpawin »

Corvettaholic

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 04:22:02 PM »
Well those porous disks are impossible for me to duplicate, but can I order them somewhere? Lets say I wanted a porous disk, like the one in the article, but I wanted it to have a diameter of 1 meter... any ideas where or who I could get to make it for me cheaply?

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2004, 02:12:23 AM »
I don't have any ideas who would make some of them (note you should try searching google for some www.google.com) but If you find some please tell me cause I might be able to make the thing myself and then I would use it for my own home electricity generation.I do however have an Idea on how they would make disks like that.I bet you they used some type of really fine laser beam or radiation beam to make some holes like that small.Just  one idea If your house is on a 240 volt I dont know how many amps you might not have to get such a big pourous round glass disk,you could maybee step the power up by a transformer (try a mighty big one,like the ones council install on the power poles and then change the current to DC via a couple of diodes.
(note if you find some pourous glass post) :) :) :) :) :book:

Corvettaholic

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2004, 05:44:00 PM »
I'm going to hunt for some of those disks, or some manufacturers, when I go back to work on monday, and I'll let you know what I come up with. I have a fetish for electricity generation in neat ways, so I think this would be a fun and SAFE experiment. Unlike my other ideas  ::)

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2004, 01:53:25 AM »
yeah good idea and good luck!

Sponsored Links