April 24, 2024, 03:52:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cationic Surfactant  (Read 4016 times)

Tenyu

Cationic Surfactant
« on: February 15, 2005, 05:09:34 PM »
Hi chem forum:

I am trying to find out whether, where, and what I can buy a cationic surfactant to use as an anti-static agent to make my own vinyl record cleaner fluid. Here is the formula I picked up...

All you need is the basic antistatic agent. A 5cc. phial will, in 0.5% solution, make up a liter of antistatic fluid, enough for a very large collection.

The solvent should be easily obtainable, since it is a 1: 1 mix of propanol (or isopropyl alcohol) and pure water. I emphasize pure water, not water from the faucet since this contains salts and other matter. You can use deionised water such as is used for topping up auto batteries; or better still, save the melted ice next time you defrost the freezer or refrigerator. Add the cationic surfactant to this solvent and that's it-nothing more. Don't use pure propanol as the solvent as some commercial preparations do, since this may adversely affect the plasticizors in the record; it also dries just that mite too quickly.

The archives only came up with this chemical __ Benzalkonium hcl is a cationic surfactant.

If anyone knows where I can purchase any cationic surfactant much appreciated,

Tenyu Hamaki

Tenyu

So
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 01:56:24 AM »
I just skipped it.

:P

Sponsored Links