April 27, 2024, 03:28:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reference Standards? How to make them?  (Read 7675 times)

Offline fulkon

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reference Standards? How to make them?
« on: February 07, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows how phytochemical reference standards are made, like those provided by Chromadex, in powered form?

How do you extract them from the plants and get them into purified, powdered form?

Thanks!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Reference Standards? How to make them?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »
Well, almost by definition, a reference standard is bought, not made.  The people selling the reference standard may not have made them -- at least I know some  NIST standards are made by outside vendors.  What the people who sell them do is characterize them, and guarantee that the concentration, activity level, whatever is what they say it is.  They do this by carefully comparing against another standard, which is likewise compared against another standard, which is likewise ... well, as far back as regulatory bodies need to go.

As for purified, powdered forms of phytochemicals, and how they're made, that I don't know.  Perhaps you do?  You're using the standard to compare against, what?  Are you own samples purified in any way?  The only difference between your samples and the vendor's standards may well be the extra certification steps, or possibly no real difference at all.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline fulkon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 07:05:47 PM »
I see what you are saying, and I totally agree with what you are talking about concerning reference standards.  Here's what I was inquiring about:

I am doing thin layer chromatography.  I want to recover the compounds of interest (bioactive marker compounds) by identifying the correct bands and scraping the respective band section off, and extracting it from the silica adsorbant layer with a solvent of choice.  Now I know I have my compound of interest dissolved in solution. 

Now, to get it to a powder form do I just evaporate the solution to dryness, which will leave behind the compound in powdered form?  See what i'm asking?

Thanks for the replies!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Now I know I have my compound of interest dissolved in solution. 

Now, to get it to a powder form do I just evaporate the solution to dryness, which will leave behind the compound in powdered form?  See what i'm asking?

Yes.  Umm, no.  You want to evaporate the solvent, presumably without damaging your compound.  Without knowing the compound intimately, like you do, I can't make great recommendations -- try heating gently, or a roto-vap, or freeze drying.  Or look at the sheet that comes with the standards, they may outline their procedure.  Or check the relevant peer-reviewed literature for similar (or the same) compound.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:53:17 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Rivet

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:16:17 PM »
I assume you've used an organic solvent to elute your compound.  Probably the safest thing to do is blow it off with a stream of purified nitrogen without heating.  It may take a while depending on your solvent.

Offline fulkon

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 09:28:10 AM »
Ahhhhh, didn't think about using nitrogen.  As of now I dont have any fancy equipment for drying, so my only options are Arkon's suggestion of gentle heating, and your suggestion of Nitrogen. 

And yes, i am using organic solvents for extraction!.  Thanks for the advise guys!

Sponsored Links