April 26, 2024, 09:32:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: *delete me*!!Hydrolysis of ester with a base  (Read 3996 times)

jelly_jelly

*delete me*!!Hydrolysis of ester with a base
« on: March 01, 2005, 01:41:10 PM »
I am trying to find some sort of experimental procedures invovling the hydrolysis of an ester (methyl methanoate) using a base (Sodium hydroxide)...The idea is that, if I titrate and therefore find out the volume of product produced...I can find the equalibrium constant etc...but the problem is I don't even know where to start...I really want to know exactly what volume and what concentration of ester and base to react and what concentration of base do I use for the titration...if anyone thinks they've got a clue...please,please,please hit me back....Thank you ever so so much!!!  :-*

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:*delete me*!!Hydrolysis of ester with a base
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 03:56:38 PM »
Well, the volume will depend on the density, which will vary with temperature and with the ratios of the compounds in the solution.  Plus the reaction will probably produce heat, therefore further altering the density.

This is probably not the best way to do this experiment!  What are you really trying to find out?

jelly_jelly

Re:*delete me*!!Hydrolysis of ester with a base
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 03:52:12 AM »
I am trying to find out the order of the reaction; then the rate constant; and the activation energy of the reaction. Do you have any suggestions??? Thank you so so much!!!

Sponsored Links