April 23, 2024, 10:25:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: extraction of metal  (Read 3766 times)

HongKongALevelboy

extraction of metal
« on: March 02, 2005, 05:27:19 AM »
for extracting metals from its minerals , what metals can be extracted by electrolysis and what metals can be extracted by reacting carbon with 'em .i m sorry i m asking a simple question but i ve lost an elementary book of chemistry and cant recall its content . plz help , thx

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:extraction of metal
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 02:21:03 PM »
If you can supply enough heat and enough electricity, any metal can be formed via electrolysis.  However, a lot of times it's easier and cheaper to do it chemically (I.E. with carbon).  In order to know which ones can be extracted from the ores via carbon, you just need to find the list of standard reduction potentials.  Anything that is higher up on that list will replace something which is lower down on that list.  So if a specific metal is below elemental carbon on the list, than carbon will be able to replace it from the molten salt.  The metals which are generally formed via electrolysis are those which are high up on that list such as sodium, potassium, aluminum, etc.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links