April 25, 2024, 01:42:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Chemistry Degree  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Zugg

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organic Chemistry Degree
« on: February 14, 2008, 04:22:47 PM »
Hello, all. This is my first post here, so I guess a HI! is in order! It's nice to meet you all! I got some plans, and I'm hoping you have answers  :P

I would like to obtain a degree in Organic Chemistry. I've been reading a lot about it online for the last couple of years, and finally decided I'll try to make a career out of it. I was just wanting your advice on where to start. First off, I went to homeschool, so I have a "diploma", but I didn't get to learn things I should have, like chemistry and even algebra (I have a basic understanding: variables, inequalities, etc, that's about it). So, I know I'd have to take all my core classes again. I can do this pretty much anywhere and it won't make a difference right? Well, when I'm done with them, I'd like to know your opinions on what schools to go to (I live in Nashville, TN). Keep in mind that UPS (my employer) is giving me tuition assistance of $1,500/semester. I can not afford much more than maybe $2000/semester myself, and my parents would probably kick in a couple hundred if they can. I can pick up a third job if need be, but please, I don't need a college that goes for $10k a semester. I would prefer a college in my area (Nashville), but if it's around a major city, UPS may relocate me for schooling. So that's my question: What's a good school? Where did you all go? What were some pros and cons of your school? Where the teachers knowledgeable? Did they show students respect, or patronize them? How has your life after college been? A struggle? Or comfortable? How easy was it for you to find a job?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you respond!

EDIT: Didn't notice the "Organic Chemistry Forum for Graduate Students and Professionals" board. Sorry if this should be there!

Offline 0000000

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-7
  • chemist
Re: Organic Chemistry Degree
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:27:22 PM »
Zugg, I am studying my undergrad in Macedonia and I can give you an advice based on my experience yet, but I just want to wish you all the best and to say that it is very good feeling to know that the number of chemists is going up and up :)
My name is Bond, Covalent Bond

Offline phillyj

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 06:29:45 PM »
Why don't you apply for financial aid. I pretty sure they could give you grants. And if you say you're independent, you can get more money for studies. Money seems to be the issue, i think from reading your post. Sad because education should be for all. And loans put you in a hole so deep, its really hard to get out.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »
Are there many (or any) 4-year accredited colleges that have tuitions as low as 2-3k a semester?  I agree with phillyj, you're probably going to need to apply for financial aid.

Offline Zugg

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:28:04 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! To answer your question, yes, money is the #1 issue for me. I am currently in debt so it would be hard for me to kick in more than $2k/semester. A loan might be what I need, as I'm in debt to a family member, so my credit score isn't affected. What did your average semester cost while you where in school, and what school did you attend? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm grateful for your answers!

Tomce: Any info would be greatly appreciated.

What are the classes like? What was your first year like? Are you originally from Macedonia? If you're from the states, what made you decide to go there?

Again, Thanks guys.

Offline phillyj

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 07:55:09 AM »
Not just loans, fill out the FAFSA and very likely you will get grants. Try to get a scholarship. Try www.fastweb.com  they have scholarship listings. College is expensive but you can try community college to get those core classes done. That will save you money.

Offline Serenagreene

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »
Hopefuly these will be some helpful tips.

If you haven't taken an ACT/SAT register to take it and study for it (a high score may help you get a scholarship).  Also fill out your FAFSA - www.fafsa.ed.gov

Find a 4 year school that has the degree you want (I don't think you can get a BS in Organic Chemistry, you might have to get a BS in Chemistry and then get an MS or Ph.D in Organic).  You shouldn't start off at the 4 year school, but a community college.  See the financial aid officer about funding (student loans, work study, etc).  You just need to know where you plan to end up for your BS so you can make sure the courses you take will transfer over and what the maxium number of transfer hours the 4 year school will take.  There should be no problem with your english, history, humanities, but be careful with the sciences some might not transfer.  So plan to get the basics out of the way. 

Make sure you keep your GPA above a 3.0 so you  will be eligible for scholarships and SMART grants later (www.studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/SmartGrants.jsp) better yet keep it as high as possible (which means you will need to study!!!). You should also be involved in some clubs on campus.  If they have a chemistry club join it and become a student affliate of the ACS.  Also start smoozing with the organic professors at your 4 year school.  They probably go to the monthly ACS dinners so go attend the meetings and meet them.

During your last semester of community college apply to your four year college and apply for any scholarship.

Now you are at your 4 year college.  If you plan to go to graduate school, if you haven't already find someone who does organic research and see what you need to do to do undergraduate work with him/her.  Most likely you will need to have at least taken 1 semester of organic chemistry.  Also start applying to summer research experience for undergraduates programs (www.nsf.gov/home/crssprgm/reu/ ).  Hopefully you have done some smoozing as you will need at least 2 letters of recommendations.  Apply everywhere.  The REU programs will give you a stipend and a place to stay for the summer while providing valuable experience.  While you are doing your REU you should also start looking at graduate programs.  Find a couple that you are interested in and see if you can talk to the department heads, professors and graduate students to see if you actually want to go there and that they are doing research that interests you.  If possible visit them the summer before you graduate.  The fall before you graduate apply to graduate school (do at least 3, but if your GPA is below 3.5 you might want to apply to no more than 10). Make sure to give your professors plenty of time to write your letters of recommendations (remind them periodically and check on the status of your applications).  Hopefully you will get invited to some of the graduate schools for visits (which they pay for). 

Serena - Who is going to graduate school at Baylor next year!!!!

Offline minimal

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »

Wow, where were you while I was doing my degree?  This is some info I could have done with 6 years ago, probably would have stuck with organic.

Offline Zugg

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o

I wish you had been my counselor in high school... I would already be in college, haha.

That's great info, thanks a lot. I gotta get to work, though. Again, thanks!  ;D

Sponsored Links