March 29, 2024, 09:08:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Luminescent Reaction  (Read 3792 times)

Offline pzona69

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Luminescent Reaction
« on: February 14, 2008, 05:43:35 PM »
I saw a video earlier of a phosphorescent that I couldn't figure out. The guy in the video took about 15-25 mL (that's an estimate on my part) of Mountain Dew and added a pinch of baking soda and 3 bottlecaps worth of household strength hydrogen peroxide. He shook the bottle up and turned off the light and it gave off a green light, brighter than almost any chemical reaction I've seen.

Just curious, anyone have an idea what happened chemically? For all I know it's a common reaction, but I couldn't figure out what would do this. 

Mods - I wasn't sure where to put this topic. Sorry if this is in the wrong board, go ahead and move it if you think it should be somewhere else.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Luminescent Reaction
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:49:41 PM »
Browse a bit more, the effect was faked.  I fell for it too, 'tho I was skeptical that no one noticed this effect before, I wasn't 100% sure there wasn't some obscure chemistry that I didn't understand.  But it was a complete hoax.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline pzona69

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 06:43:59 PM »
Hmm, I thought it seemed a little too bright. I'm still impressed with the video editing though. Thanks for the answer

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »
As you do more searches, you'll see people point out the exact frame where the bottle switch/video edit occurred.  I don't see it myself, but yeah, some people say it's there.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links