April 24, 2024, 10:28:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is Titration???  (Read 5695 times)

Offline potatopotato

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
What is Titration???
« on: February 23, 2008, 10:11:43 AM »
Would anyone be kind enough to explain to me what is titration...I am trying to design a lab regarding the rate of enzyme activity.

I am using different concentrations of substrate and it is suppose to be like a logarithmic function (increase dramatically in rate of reaction and gradually levels off as concentration continues to increase)

So I will be using hydrogen peroxide H2O2 as substrate and cow liver as the enzyme...

After the reactions, I will be titrating (see link http://bioweb.wku.edu/courses/Biol114/enzyme/enzyme2.asp) and according to this website, the amount of titrate used (KMnO4) is directly proportional to the amount of substrate left...?

I am not sure if this will help me in the rate of enzyme activity...

Thanks

potatopotato

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: What is Titration???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 10:35:21 AM »
Briefly, from the wikipedia link,  Titration is a common laboratory method of quantitative/chemical analysis that can be used to determine the concentration of a known reactant. {click} . You use an indicator, or a selective electrode to let you know when you've consumed all reactant, and a careful volume measurement to let you quantitate that reactant.

Your particular application cited on the web page you linked gives you some other hints, "Incubate tubes containing Catalase and Hydrogen Peroxide at different temperatures and examine the rate of Enzyme actvivty by titrating any remaining (unreacted) substrate. This will give us an indirect measure of the substrate converted to product and therefore the rate of the reaction. (remaining substrate = Starting amount - amount converted to product)."  On how you're going to use titration to determine enzymatic reaction rates.

You can think of hydrogen peroxide as the substrate or reactant for either catalase (found in most animal tissue, liver in your case) or permanganate.  We just use the words "substrate" and "reactant" respectively, in each case, by convention. (I realize that an enzyme is a catalyst and not a synonym for reactant, I'm just running with the comsumption of the substrate theme here)

*[EDIT}*

And, damn, but your class is really up on the teaching tech isn't it.  That is one elaborate flash animation.  Back in my day, oh, these old bones, we only had a lab book to follow.  Didn't you go through it?  It is really very informative, stepwise.  Or did you write it?  Top marks, to whoever wrote it.  'Tho they might have bothered to run it through a spell checker. ;)

*[EDIT]*

Hey, I got all the questions right.  Do I win anything?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 05:06:45 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline potatopotato

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:22:22 PM »
Thanks for helping me out...it all makes sense now...by the way, that is some other school's website, thougth it is pretty high tech  ;D

I gave you a scooby snack (Yah!  ;D), not sure if that is what you wanted tho...

I tried to understand what the weblink gave me, I am trying to design a lab and use this as an idea. Our teacher never taught us such higher level knowledge, had to find it all myself...

Many Thanks
potatopotato

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
Thanks for helping me out...it all makes sense now...by the way, that is some other school's website, thougth it is pretty high tech  ;D

Won't they be surprised when the student's name Arkcon shows up, they won't even have you there to explain it. :D

I gave you a scooby snack (Yah!  ;D), not sure if that is what you wanted tho...

Yey.  Scooby snacks.  I thought some poor TA would have to grade my submission.

I tried to understand what the weblink gave me, I am trying to design a lab and use this as an idea. Our teacher never taught us such higher level knowledge, had to find it all myself...

Many Thanks
potatopotato

Your own link is way better for your application.  Lots of explanation there.  And you can compare it to the wikipedia link I gave you, to learn more at each step.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline potatopotato

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »
Many Thanks once again

Potatopotato

PS is it possible for you to give me a scooby snack   :-X

Sponsored Links