March 28, 2024, 09:20:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: You can't be a wimp in chem!  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Vette Freak

• DNA Analyst
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-8
  • Go Terps!
You can't be a wimp in chem!
« on: March 05, 2005, 04:36:23 PM »
Since there's a lot of threads bashing women, I thought I would post a humorous story from my AP chemistry class in high school.

Since it was last day before a holiday break, we got to do a demeaning fun "lab" in groups of four.  Our procedures involved mixing granulated sugar, corn syrup, flavoring, and food coloring in a beaker and heating it over a bunsen burner to make a viscous goo.  We were then supposed to make lolipops out of that mess.  Only one thing went wrong... our goo boiled over and ignited when it drizzled onto the wire gauze and burner. The only male in my group, Brian Smith (I mention his name because he deserves yet more humiliation for being the macho wimp of AP chem) runs across the classroom screaming "Oh my god, its on fire! Mr. Hendly, *delete me*".  I turn the gas off at the source and am instructed by Mr. Hendly to set the flaming beaker in the sink using tongs and to put the fire out.  That wasn't the worst of it... We made another mixture of goo and started the process over, only it catches on fire again even after turning the burner down.  That time I was ready and calmly placed the flaming beaker in the sink while Brian stood cowering behind the fire blanket.

Don't get me wrong - I loved AP chem.  I even mastered the art of making perfect smoke rings with a flint lighter.  ;)
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:You can't be a wimp in chem!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 12:01:43 AM »
LOL. we are not exactly woman-bashing. all those chauvanist jokes have been circulated around the internet for a very very long time. they just been "re-published" here because someone thought it was funny.. still then, women have always been the source of amusement for straight guys. haha
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Curry

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re:You can't be a wimp in chem!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 12:40:16 PM »
Since there's a lot of threads bashing women, I thought I would post a humorous story from my AP chemistry class in high school.

Since it was last day before a holiday break, we got to do a demeaning fun "lab" in groups of four.  Our procedures involved mixing granulated sugar, corn syrup, flavoring, and food coloring in a beaker and heating it over a bunsen burner to make a viscous goo.  We were then supposed to make lolipops out of that mess.  Only one thing went wrong... our goo boiled over and ignited when it drizzled onto the wire gauze and burner. The only male in my group, Brian Smith (I mention his name because he deserves yet more humiliation for being the macho wimp of AP chem) runs across the classroom screaming "Oh my god, its on fire! Mr. Hendly, *delete me*".  I turn the gas off at the source and am instructed by Mr. Hendly to set the flaming beaker in the sink using tongs and to put the fire out.  That wasn't the worst of it... We made another mixture of goo and started the process over, only it catches on fire again even after turning the burner down.  That time I was ready and calmly placed the flaming beaker in the sink while Brian stood cowering behind the fire blanket.

Don't get me wrong - I loved AP chem.  I even mastered the art of making perfect smoke rings with a flint lighter.  ;)
Haha...that is great...and it's so true that there are guys that go to pieces over the smallest accidents while the girls just take care of the problem...

Sponsored Links