April 28, 2024, 11:43:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How exactly do you figure out what all the different isomers of a compound are?  (Read 10311 times)

Offline Catherina

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I just finished my Chemistry course through Corresp. (which I found next to impossible), and now have a month to learn it before my final exam.

So going over my previous Lessons, I will have many questions.

But here is the one I'm confused about for now.

The question says to draw a complete structural diagram, a condensed structural diagram and a line structural diagram for the three isomers of C5H12.

Without it telling me in the book (which it doesn't), how are you supposed to know exactly what the 3 isomers are?  The one I have is:

H H  H  H H
   |  |  |  | |
H-C-C-C-C-C-H
   |  |  |  |  |
   H  H  H H  H

Other than that, is there a method or trick to knowing where to rearrange the C's? 

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Don't assume the longest linear chain must be 5 carbons.  You can get a 5-carbon hydrocarbon with the longest linear chain being less than 5 carbons.

As you start drawing various isomers, make sure you attempt to name them, too.  Naming them is an excellent way to make sure you don't draw duplicate structures.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Well, for a few isomers, you can use a little trick from the old-fashioned nomenclature.  There's n-pentane, which you've drawn.  There's the iso-pentane, which is one methyl off the second carbon.  Then there is the tert-pentane, which looks like a letter T.  These are old common names we have to memorize, for such compounds as isopropanol, or t-butanol.  So start by drawing those first.

If you've got some free time, you can go here:
http://antoine.frostburg.edu/cgi-bin/senese/tutorials/isomer/index.cgi

They've got a little flash game where you try to build isomers.  I find it pretty hard, in fact, I've never finished it.  So maybe I should have said, "If you have lots of free time"
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Catherina

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'll give those both a try! Thank you  :)

Sponsored Links