April 24, 2024, 01:03:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Boiling & Melting Point of p-dicholorobenzene  (Read 4707 times)

cdsnose

Boiling & Melting Point of p-dicholorobenzene
« on: March 07, 2005, 04:50:48 AM »
Why is the boilling point of p-dichlorobenzene low while the melting point is high as opposed to the meta and ortho dichlorobenzene? Usually when the boiling point is high, the melting point is high too. I've looked and read my book and still do not know the answer. I've also asked a tutor in my school but to now avail. I would appreciate your help on this. thank you!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 04:51:53 AM by cdsnose »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Boiling & Melting Point of p-dicholorobenzene
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 09:45:45 AM »
the reason lies in packing. the chloro-position influences the arrangement of molecules in its solid state. different arrangement results different extent of inter-molecular bonding, and hence different melting point. i hope this brief explaination will guide you to the right track.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Boiling & Melting Point of p-dicholorobenzene
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 11:21:03 AM »
Yes, as Geodome said, the packing of the crystals is very important to the melting point because you must overcome the crystal packing energy.  This can vary greatly even for relatively similar molecules.

The boiling point, however, is most affected by polarity and molecular mass.  Since the dichlorobenzene isomers all have the same mass, you must consider the differences in polarity.  Think about the net dipole moment of the three isomers and I think that you will find the answer.

Sponsored Links