April 26, 2024, 06:11:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Introduction to Equilibria / LeChatelier's Principle Question  (Read 3097 times)

Offline FutureDoc

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Introduction to Equilibria / LeChatelier's Principle Question
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »
How would I solve the following two problems?

1. Calculate the volume (in mL) of NO produced by the decomposition of 0.25 g of NaNO2. Assume 25 C and 1 atm.

2. Calculate the volume (at 25 C and 1 atm) of NO2 expected if all of the gas of the above problem reacts.

Here's what I've determined:

I wrote the chemical equation as: NaNO2 <--> Na + NO2

And now, I assume I use the ideal gas equation: PV=nRT, where V will be my volume of NO that I'm looking for. My question is, do I use the grams of NaNO2 into moles, and then substitute that value into the n of my equation?

These problems are in the Equilibrium/LeChatelier's Principle section, so I assume I have to do something else other than simply plugging numbers into the ideal gas equation.

And also, would #2 be done the exact same way as #1?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

EDIT #1:

I just converted the 0.25 g NaNO2 into moles (3.62x10-3), and plugged all the numbers into the ideal gas equation, which gives me V=88.5 mL. I don't think the problem would be that simple, though, as that's simply the volume of the NaNO2, and not the volume of the NO as needed... hmm... what am I missing?

EDIT #2:

Is this just a basic titration, using the mole-to-mole ratio? And then plugging the values into the ideal gas equation?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:15:44 AM by FutureDoc »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Introduction to Equilibria / LeChatelier's Principle Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:03:40 AM »

EDIT #2:

Is this just a basic titration, using the mole-to-mole ratio? And then plugging the values into the ideal gas equation?

Well, it's not a titration because it doesn't involve a red-ox or an acid-base reaction.  But yes, that is the whole point.  When they say, "goes  to completion", they pretty much erase the words, "equilibrium" and "LeChatelier's Principle" even if they've said them first.

I don't think your equation is balanced properly.  Heating NaNO2 doesn't decompose it to elemental sodium, or we'd see it more often, and have way more fun blowing up bodies of water than is generally allowed.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links