March 29, 2024, 05:41:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Products of Bromo octanol in the presence of aqueous NaOH  (Read 2985 times)

Offline burntbread07

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Products of Bromo octanol in the presence of aqueous NaOH
« on: February 25, 2008, 12:10:57 AM »
"(3R,6R)-6-Bromo-3-octanol (A) is expected to form optically inactive B (C8H16O) upon exposure to aqueous NaOH. A stereoisomer of A, namely, C also forms B under the same conditions. Two other stereoisomers of A, namely D and E as a 50/50 mixture, form optically inactive F, a diastereoisomer of B. What are the structures of A-F? The structures D and E are not distinguishable. Explain and illustrate with mechanisms."

I hope I am not breaking any rules here, but apart from coming up with the structure for A, I can't get much further.  I still do not understand what happens to the OH- from the NaOH. 

Offline Rico

• Mole Snacks: +30/-0
Re: Products of Bromo octanol in the presence of aqueous NaOH
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:10:35 AM »
Hey burntbread07

The stereoisomeres react via a ring closure reaction forming tetrahydrofuran-derivatives and the hydroxide ions deprotonates the oxonium-ion intermediate. I would recommend you to make a model, since this makes the stereochemical issues much easier to vizualise.

Try figuring it out, and if its not possible for you please let me know and I will be happy to post my solution to the problem.

Rico

Sponsored Links