March 29, 2024, 09:05:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sn2 mechanism for ring opening  (Read 15541 times)

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: sn2 mechanism for ring opening
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 10:31:32 AM »
AWK

Offline portugal

• Mole Snacks: +2/-5
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 11:50:12 PM »
I have worked the product (3-bromo-2-butanol) and the mechanism out now for both the trans(2R, 3R) and Trans (2S,3S), however i have come across 2 products for each of them becuase of the equla probability that the C-O bond will be broken on either side and i need to know which one of each two is the major product. How am i supposed to know that???

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 12:49:42 AM »
trans(2R, 3R) and Trans (2S,3S)
wrong using trans - trans suggest double bond

i need to know which one of each two is the major product. How am i supposed to know that???
It is normal in the case of more symmetric compounds that both products are formed in exactly the same amounts
AWK

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 06:12:38 AM »
@ AWK: agreed.

cis/trans is generally reserved for geometry about a double bond, and sometimes for relative positions in a cyclic system.  syn/anti is also generally used for relative positions in a cyclic systems, but it can also be used for net creation of 2 new stereocenters. 

And you are correct, you form a racemic mixture of two products, and both will be formed in equal amounts.

I didn't check your r/s nomenclature, but assuming you prioritized each substituent correctly, then a job very well done.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links