April 20, 2024, 02:48:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PEG  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Polleke

• Mole Snacks: +10/-12
PEG
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
Are there any scientists here that use PEG or have worked with it and are able to explain me why a sample with PEG and a fungus becomes very low in pH.
(maybe the fungus has some importance in the proces, but maybe its just the PEG that can make a solution lower in pH at certain circumstances).

At the start the sample had a pH of about 7, after 5 months all of a sudden the sample reaches a pH not even higher then 3.

Also important to tell: I only noticed this drastical decrease in pH with samples stored at +20°C.

It didnt happen with samples stored at 5°C.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: PEG
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »
Polyethylene glycol is pretty resistant to microbial attack, but nothing made of carbon chains lasts forever in a bottle on the bench.  Five months may simply be too long a shelf life for your samples.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Polleke

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:12:18 PM »
So you are stating that the Micro-organism is changing the PEG and thus changing the pH.

So in other words : without the micro-organism the samples would still have a normal start pH.

And why do I notice this only for the samples stored at 20°C ? Maybe the temparure is also influencing the rate of changing of the PEG?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »
True enough, generally, reaction rates tend to increase as temperature increases.  It could be oxidation by the air, or some other contaminant, besides microbes.  I just figure your fungus is metabolizing something and it's products are low pH -- doesn't that seem likely, especially compared to frozen samples?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Polleke

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »
True enough, generally, reaction rates tend to increase as temperature increases.  It could be oxidation by the air, or some other contaminant, besides microbes.  I just figure your fungus is metabolizing something and it's products are low pH -- doesn't that seem likely, especially compared to frozen samples?

Eum, so you think that if I kept the samples airtight I might not have seen this drastical reduction in pH? (ex.=> 1 sample kept closed from the air, the other one maybe opened once during 5 monhts in sterile conditions).
Meaning that the sample kept closed would not change so fast in pH?

What you say about : True enough, generally, reaction rates tend to increase as temperature increases.  I agree with that, the temperature does influence the speed of a reaction.

I just figure your fungus is metabolizing something and it's products are low pH
==> true too, but how come I only see this when PEG is used ? Why not when I use sucrose or another substance ?

If have more samples then the ones with PEG and I only noticed it in the samples filled with PEG thus meaning that the PEG does have a big influence in the pH change.
Or there has to be some sort of specific interaction between the fungus as PEG ?

I just figure your fungus is metabolizing something and it's products are low pH -- doesn't that seem likely, especially compared to frozen samples?
====>

eum, true too, the samples stored by lower temperature do not show a lower pH, so it could indeed be that the growth of the fungus is influencing the pH change, but then how do you explain this: the fungus grows better (and faster) when stored at 5°C ! And not when stored at 20°C!  ???
Dont you think this is strange then?

Anyway, I am not a chemist , so I might make big mistakes or make assumptions that are completely wrong. I am just trying to figure it out.

Sponsored Links