April 19, 2024, 09:39:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: a question about covalent bond  (Read 8654 times)

kayvanfar67

a question about covalent bond
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:13:49 AM »
here is my question:

we know that (s) and (o2) can make a covalent bond.
now please tell me why (s) and (o) can not do this?

???

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:a question about covalent bond
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 03:48:56 PM »
What do you mean?  There are examples of S-O bonds which are covalent.  S can't bond to O2 though because O2 already has a full octet.

kayvanfar67

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 09:32:47 AM »
i mean that S and O2 can make a molecules with covalent bond. but S and O cannot make a molecules with covalent bond. so why?   ???
you are right my question was not right. i'm sorry for this.  :-[

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 10:38:59 AM »
Are you asking why sulphur reacts with the diatomic oxygen molecule to form covalent product, but not react with oxygen radical? If this is what you are asking, I can tell you is that forming the O=O bond is more thermodynamically favoured than S-O or S=O bonds because being small and the same size, the degree of overlap of the O valence orbitals would be greater, and thus stronger bond, and hence more exothermic than forming the sulphur-oxygen bonds. Hence, the oxygen radicals are more likely to react with each other before reacting with sulphur.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links