April 18, 2024, 10:23:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Arrhenius (exothermic vs endothermic) & anti-gauche  (Read 4912 times)

Offline gradu8in2003

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Arrhenius (exothermic vs endothermic) & anti-gauche
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:25:01 PM »
Two questions...
First: I was asked to determine the approximate energy difference between an anti and gauche configuration and came out with 0.9288 kcal.

I need to figure out at what percentage does the anti conformer exist in equilibrium with the gauche? My textbook (Fox & Whitesell) has a small table with energy vs percentage with 0.65 kcal = 75% and 1.3 kcal = 90%, so obviously my answer is between the two, but is there a way to calculate this precisely?

Second: We were given the graph of the Arrhenius equation with the rate as a function of temperature for an endothermic reaction and asked to graph one for exothermic.
Our endothermic began at 0K and 0rate and increased exponentially to a leveled off value equal to A at a high temp (just trying to give y'all an idea of how it looks).
Therefore, my graph for exothermic is amost exactly backwards, where it increases exponentially and indefinitely at the A value... but i'm not sure this is right.

As part of the explanation for this problem, I am supposed to determine why an exothermic reaction is not very likely for a unimolecular/one-step reaction.

Thanks for any help y'all can give!

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Arrhenius (exothermic vs endothermic) & anti-gauche
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 03:25:44 AM »
Two questions...
First: I was asked to determine the approximate energy difference between an anti and gauche configuration and came out with 0.9288 kcal.

I need to figure out at what percentage does the anti conformer exist in equilibrium with the gauche? My textbook (Fox & Whitesell) has a small table with energy vs percentage with 0.65 kcal = 75% and 1.3 kcal = 90%, so obviously my answer is between the two, but is there a way to calculate this precisely?

nisomer 1/nisomer 2 = e-(difference in energy)/RT (where energy is in joules), I seem to recall.

S

Sponsored Links