April 27, 2024, 04:47:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is meant when it is said that a molecule (e.g diene or poliene) is excited?  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Ahmed Abdullah

• Mole Snacks: +2/-3
We know that when an atom is excited electron is elevated from the ground state. But I can't really figure what is an excited molecule..
Is it something like , hmm....the molecular orbital is enlarged so that the shared electrons can enjoy extra freedom or something else?
I think you have understood the problem.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
We better start from the very beginning - what does it mean that atom is excited? What happens to the excited electron?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Ahmed Abdullah

We better start from the very beginning - what does it mean that atom is excited? What happens to the excited electron?

1. At least one of the electron absorbs energy and rises from the ground state.

2. Excited electron remains in some higher energy level (as long as it is an excited atom).

I like your approach BOREK. Can you be more help?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
2. Excited electron remains in some higher energy level (as long as it is an excited atom).

And in terms of orbitals?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Ahmed Abdullah

And in terms of orbitals?
electrons jump from one orbital to other; where the latter is somehow more energetic than the other. Right?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
Exactly. Now, molecules are not different - just instead of atomic orbitals they have molecular orbitals.

Offline Ahmed Abdullah

we know atoms can be ionized by absorbing photons of relevant energy.
So molecules like Cl2 should be able to undergo similar process to give rise to: Cl2 + photon-------> 2Cl+
Is it reality?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
You have to decide what you are talking about - 2Cl+ are not an excited Cl2.

Offline Ahmed Abdullah

absorbing sufficient energy- atoms can eject out electron from the orbital so that the electron is no longer under the influence of the nucleus; that is a positive ion.
From the analogy I think similar thing can happen to electron pair in a molecular orbital.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
From the analogy I think similar thing can happen to electron pair in a molecular orbital.

Not necesarilly an electron pair - it may happen to a single electron leading to ion like H2+. But this is completely new entity, it is NOT an excited molecule. So you have to decide if you are asking about excited molecule, or ionized molecule.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Often light can break chemical bonds in a molecule without ionizing the substance (i.e. without ejecting any electrons).  For example, Cl2 can break down into two chlorine radicals (Cl.).

Sponsored Links