April 28, 2024, 06:51:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ideal Gas Question  (Read 4013 times)

Offline vkut79

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ideal Gas Question
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »
There are four flasks with gases. One is Helium, one is NH3, one CO2, and Cl2. They have same volume and temperature. My question is, which has more atoms, and which has higher pressure? I know they all have the same mole / pressure ratio, but I can't figure out how you can tell which one has more moles, and which one has higher pressure. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Ideal Gas Question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:00:18 PM »
A pretty poorly worded question, volume and temperature, known, moles and pressure, unknown?  That can't be solved.  And they want atoms, from polyatomic gases? Is that something like a trick question, starts out like a gas laws problem, ends up a counting problem?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:13:27 PM »
Does the question tell you anything about the mass of the gas in each flask?  That's the only way that this question would make sense and be solvable.

Offline vkut79

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »
Yeah, it is basically unsolvable as I put it. However, I think I know what the issue is. There is a picture that comes with the problem, and it shows the flasks with different number of molecules floating around. But in the problem itself it doesn't imply in any way that you are supposed to count these molecules to figure out the relative amounts in each flask. I guess I am literally supposed to count the molecules floating around to answer my question. Its really dumb.

Thanks for your replies anyway

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:29:54 PM »
At 273.15 K (0 °C) and one atmosphere pressure does one mole of an ideal gas occupy approximately 22.4 Liters?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 03:44:06 AM »
It does. My take is that to solve the question we are to assume identical PVT in all flasks. But I agree that the question is poorly worded.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links