April 28, 2024, 07:19:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: very urgent question please help ( it has adsorbtion case )  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Bashir2008

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
very urgent question please help ( it has adsorbtion case )
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »
Hello every body: its Bashir over here.

I really have very serious question need to be solved as soon as possible, I have tried but could not reach the right answer , so please everyone of you who has an ability to sort it out please do it.

Note: You can use any assumptions if u need.

The question is:

I have a solution of humic acid ( 10mg/l) into 100ml glass pottle ( volume )

I have put an adsorbent ( materila ) to adsorb humic acid from the solution which is deionized water.
My adsrobent material is polymer beads ( cylindrical shape ).

I need to know if these beads will adsorb the humic acid from the solution , so how many mgs of humic acid will be adsorbed by these beads ? say for instance the humic acid will be adsorbed as a monolayer on the beads

As i said you could need to do some assumptions and u can do it because we do theortical calculation and that just to give us an indicator if how much amount of humic acid will be adsorbed on the beads.
You can also assume the amount of the adsorbent material in order to get the surface area may be ( if u need it )

its done.

Please try to answer it as soon as possible.

Best regardes

Bashir

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: very urgent question please help ( it has adsorbtion case )
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »

Note: You can use any assumptions if u need.

You have not given enough pertinent info.  I can say "one" or "a kilo" or it "can't be done"  if I have to make all the assumptions you've left us with.

I have a solution of humic acid ( 10mg/l) into 100ml glass pottle ( volume )
This part is clear, I would have to look humic acid up to fully understand it, but as I understand the substance -- it is a mixture, IIRC, of plant decomposition products, am I correct?  That makes this problem tricky enough ...

I have put an adsorbent ( materila ) to adsorb humic acid from the solution which is deionized water.

Substance is not defined adequately.

My adsrobent material is polymer beads

Inadequate (incomplete) definition.

( cylindrical shape ).

Inadequate definition.  Also, irrelevant.  Also, also, possibly wrong?

Try to ask the whole question again, see if you have some info you've left out.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 12:49:17 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »
From the context of your other, eye-burning, post,   you appear to be assuming that the absorbent is a regular cylinder and the compound attaches as a monolayer.  There are problems with the assumption:

1). Absorbents are usually porous, so they can absorb as much as possible.  From your jargon, or trade name, or foreign word, materila I can't be sure what you're working with.  The substance has a vendor, who will give you surface area specifications.  Your single dimension (well, 3 for a regular cylinder) isn't as useful as you believe.

2). Humic acid may not absorb as a monolayer.  You'll have to search peer-reviewed literature, though I suspect you'll be disappointed if you expect a simple answer.  Just because it has a name, humic acid, doesn't mean it is a rigorously defined compound or well known mixture. You've acquired a molecular dimension from somewhere, but I don't believe it's absolutely valid. Furthermore, humic acid may absorb as clumps, or one humic acid synergisticly helping others to bind, or one humic acid may block adjacent absorbence sites,either stericly or based on charge repulsion, as examples.

If you're trying to make a demonstration of monolayers and Avogadro's number, you'll have to look at more traditional substances.

If you're trying to clean up a water sample, you best bet is probably a series of experiments to determine how much can be absorbed.  Many people on this board perform absorption experiments -- HPLC, GC, self poured macro columns, but no one sits around with Avogadro's number and particle dimensions -- you've over simplified the process to your own detriment.

Offline Bashir2008

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
Thanks Arkon

Lets say my material will adsorbs humic acid and lets say its pouros. and if you know that Avogadro number is 6.022 * 10 *^23 and the humic acid molecule diameter ( size ) is around 1.5nm.

And we assume that the humic acid will be adsorbed as a monolayer not multilayer.

and my materilas are polyethylene beads and the weight of each bead is about 0.044gm

You can assume or calculate if u need how much beads should i put in the solution to adsorb a specific amount of humic acid.

Finally : by these informations could u know how much mgs of humic acid will be adsorbed on these beads as a monolayer

Please try to answer if there is anything missing if is very necessary to solve this problem so you can assume it.
I do not expect an easy answer but i was struggling a lot so that is why i need to do it theortically now. so if u could help please do it.

Best regards

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 02:16:09 PM »
OK, you've caught me in a good mood, but you've left so much of your real topic out of the discussion, I really don't see the point, but ...

You have a bunch of smooth cylinders.  They're not, but you insist it doesn't matter.  They have a fixed (unlikely, probably a range) set of dimensions. You use Area=2(pi r 2) + (2 pi r)* h to determine surface area.   You can determine the total surface area of a mole of these cylinders, and use the molecular weight (assuming you have just one, and not a range) to determine the total surface area of a gram.

You assume (incorrectly, IMHO) that a humic acid has a fixed dimension, and that you know it.  Again, using molecular weight, you can see the surface area of a gram of humic acid.  Then you divide.  I suppose, if you build this all into a spreadsheet program, you can plug in all the ranges and come up with a range of values and call it the worst case scenario for humic acid adsorption.

But it seems like an awful lot of work, for an answer we know is wrong.

Sponsored Links