April 26, 2024, 04:18:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Optical Rotations?  (Read 3827 times)

jena

Optical Rotations?
« on: March 09, 2005, 04:08:40 PM »
Hi,

I'm having problems figuring out optical rotations. Does anyone know of a site that deals with optical rotations for a question like this one for exampel:

What is optical rotation value of a 1:4 mixture of enantiomers given that the rotation value of pure enantiomer would be 100 degrees?

Could someone please help with this question I posted a similiar question like this before and no one responded to it. I hope I'm not being rude by asking if someone could at least respond to this I really need help

Please help and Thank you  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 05:28:15 PM by jena »

dexangeles

Re:Optical Rotations?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 12:41:18 AM »
well, isn't it that enantiomers' rotations are equal in magnitude, but opposite in sign?

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Optical Rotations?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 02:07:51 PM »
Yeah, pretty much.  So in the case of a 1:4 mixture you essentially have 40% racemic material and 60% of one enantiomer in excess.

The equation you need is alpha = [alpha]*c*l

alpha is the observed rotation, [alpha] is the specific rotation, c is the concentration of the sample, and l is the pathlength of the instrument.

[alpha] won't change because you have the same compound and all that.  You assume that l is the same too.  So what has changed?  The effective c is different because only 60% of the material will be productively rotating the plane polarized light (the racemic material doesn't do anything).  So if the effective c is decreased from 1 (arbitrarily) to 0.6, then the observed rotation should decrease from 100 to 60.  So in essence the value of c is artificially high because you have a equal amount of material (10 mg in each sample) but in one sample all of the material is rotating light whereas in the other only 60% is rotating light.

I think that's right, but I'm not really that experienced in dealing with optical rotations.

Sponsored Links