April 26, 2024, 04:12:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does Kp have units?  (Read 25437 times)

Offline Faisal

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Does Kp have units?
« on: March 03, 2008, 02:25:31 AM »
In my textbook(Zumdahl 7e)...it calculates Kp and doesn't show any units and it also says K(Kc) doesn't have units?Does that mean Kp doesn't have units?But in my exam they asked us to specify the units of Kp?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Does Kp have units?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 03:18:40 AM »
At a high school level, whether an equilibrium constant has units is a function of the actual equilibrium.

If the number of moles of product and reactant are the same, such as in the generic alcohol + acid <-> ester + water, then Kc will not have any units, but something like BaseH+(aq) <-> Base(aq) + H+(aq) will have units.

Similarly, a reaction like H2 + Cl2 <-> 2HCl will not have units for Kp, but CaCO3 <-> CaO + CO2 will.

(double headed arrow meant to represent the equilibrium arrow)

I assume, from the area you've posted the topic in, that this is the more appropriate situation and sort of answer you're looking for.

At higher levels you learn about activity coefficients and reaction quotients, which are factors multiplied to concentrations or similar to allow for effective concentrations or pressures (a typical example being in concentrated solutions of strong acid, dissociation is not complete, so pH != -log[H+]), these too have the effect of giving no units for any equilibrium constant, K.

S

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 03:34:52 AM »
Generally, units of K are omitted. This comes from problem with logarithmic equation. But for calculating K you should use specific units of pressure or concnetration. Then dividing by unit pressure  (105 Pa) or concentration (1 mol/dm3) you will get numbers. Using this numbers in K you will get K without units
AWK

Offline Faisal

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 04:06:49 AM »
ohk thank you....my shool must be really dumb to ask such a higher level question.So if the # of moles are different...what is the units then?I put my answer as "atm"...is that correct?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 05:17:34 AM »
ohk thank you....my shool must be really dumb to ask such a higher level question.So if the # of moles are different...what is the units then?I put my answer as "atm"...is that correct?

Without knowledge of the question, it's impossible to say whether atm is the correct unit for Kp. It would only be correct if the reaction in question were one like the decomposition of calcium carbonate to calcium oxide and carbon dioxide in my earlier example. If the reaction in question was, for instance, Ni(CO)4(s) <-> Ni(s) + 4 CO(g) what units would you answer?

S

Sponsored Links