March 28, 2024, 08:52:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: single displacement experiment  (Read 4362 times)

wushu093

single displacement experiment
« on: February 25, 2005, 08:13:40 PM »
 i did a single displacement experiment using surface area as the independent variable. i used a copper (II) nitrate solution, and used powdered zinc, powdered nickle, and small pices of aluminum, as well as larger versions of each of the aforementioned elements.  according to the activity series, they all should have reacted, but only zinc did. aluminum and nickel, in either of their forms, failed to react.  does anybody know why this may have happened?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:single displacement experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 07:32:49 AM »
aluminium reacts with air so readily that it has an  oxide layer. this oxide layer inhibited the displacement reaction by preventing contact of aluminium metal with the copper(II) ions in solution.

I am not sure about Ni but i guess the same thing happen for Ni metal. alternatively, try displacing Cu with Ni using a more concentrated solution.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 07:34:39 AM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

wushu093

Re:single displacement experiment
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 10:11:57 PM »
hey this is wushu093, thanks for the response, i alreayd handed my project in, but thanks, it was bugging me not knowing, atleast i can sleep at night now  :P.

Sponsored Links