April 29, 2024, 08:42:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with Organometallic complexes  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Serenagreene

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Help with Organometallic complexes
« on: March 03, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »
I missed the class where the teacher went over how to calculate the oxidation state of the metal in an organometallic complex and how to tell if it's saturated or not.  Can someone take a look at this and tell me if I am doing this correctly?  I have attached the worksheet and my answers are:

a) Charge on Fe = -2 and it's unsaturated (I'm not sure if I am figurering this out correctly ( 8e'(Fe) + 2 (Na) * 2e' + 4 * 2e' = 20 but to be saturated I would need 28 e'?) 

b)  Charge on Pd = +2 and it's unsaturated (8e’ + 2e’ + 2e’ + 2(allyl)*2e’ = 16 (saturated would be 18 e’))

c) Charge on Pd = +2 and it's unsaturated (8e’ + 2e’*4 = 16 – (saturated would be 18 e’))

d) Charge on Fe = -1 and it's unsaturated (7e’ + 3*2e’ + 2*2e’ = 15 – (saturated would be 18e’))

e) Charge on Cr = -6 and it's saturated (2e’ + 5*2e’ + 2*2e’ = 18)

f) charge on Pd = +2 and it's unsaturated (16e' total)

g) Charge on Pd = +2 and it's unsaturated (16e' total)

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Help with Organometallic complexes
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
Excellent, excellent chart on page 4/5 to help you here.  I use this chart almost every time I count electrons:

http://bama.ua.edu/~kshaughn/ch609/notes/2-18-electron.pdf
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »
I went through these quickly, but

a) no (it's 18e - how many electrons will Na+ donate???)
b) yes
c) yes
d) no (watch the formal positive charge)
e) no Cr is not -6, but I do get 18e
f) yes
g) that's not what I get, but this one didn't make a lot of sense to me.  I got 15e total
h) ...
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Serenagreene

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »
Thanks, Okay I revised my answers.

a) Fe is -2, but as Na can only supply 1 electron - the total # of e' are 18 and it's saturated. 
d) Fe is +2, the Fe has 4 e', the 3 CO contribute 6e', the ring donate 6e' for a total 16e' so it is unsaturated.
e) Cr has a -1 charge
h) Pd has a +3 charge and it has 15e' and is unsaturated....

I'll have to print out the reference and read it a bit more in depth when I get home tonight.

Thanks for you help it is starting to make a little more sense (I think).

-Serena

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
a) if Nao were somehow a ligand, I'd buy that it donates 1 e-.  But Na+ is not Nao, it is not a ligand, and doesn't even have any e- to donate.  Just a cation.

d) no.  Fe2+ does not have 4 e-. ligand counts are correct, tho.

e) Cr is not -1.  These are not readily obvious.  Check the table in the pdf for how to deal with carbene ligands.  NOTE: there are two types of carbene ligands, make sure you're applying the correct one...

h) Nope.  And these ligand's aren't explicit in the book either.  What if the oxygen atoms were carbon atoms.  Treat it as an allyl ligand (I think - if anyone knows better, please correct me!)

Sponsored Links